Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a battery that we had to fill the cells with acid ourselves. It seems to already be a bad battery after a year. Are there any pre filled and pre chanrged batteries that are good for atv's?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hi laurie....Before you just buy a new battery, have someone check the charging system on your bike and do a load test on your battery.
Decent quality wet cell ATV batteries generally last longer than a year...so check first...

walt

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I'm not sure a pre-filled battery is your solution, but it is an option.
Does your bike go without starting for long period, and possibly without a battery tender? And possibly live in an unheated shop where it is very cold?
This can be hard on a battery and kill it in a year, plus in the last few years I have gone through several truck batteries as they aren't making them like they use to.
Here, I start the grizz every week or two and let it run to warm up and keep the battery charged, and when cold use starting fluid to keep from winding on the starter for long periods.
You can by a dry cell battery as an option.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Welcome 2 GC.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
If you buy an AGM check with the manufacturer for fill and charge instructions

·
Registered
312 Posts
In the last 23 yrs have replaced the battery twice on different ATV's, the batteries you can buy now are maintenance free, you just install and hook up. It is always best to get the most cold cranking amp you can afford. That said, sometimes a battery can be defective as with any new thing, being new does not always mean good.
As Ridgeway noted, if sits in a cold environment put on a battery tender and periodically let it run a little. My machine sits in an unheated shed and is always on a trickle charger as is my F150. if this keeps happening, then you are getting voltage leakage somewhere and requires some investigation with a meter. I would start with a good battery and tender first.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Weird, I guess I use maintenance free AGM batteries and just throw the battery tender on at least once a month for 24 hours. NEver reallt had an issue unless the battery gets drained and then freezes. With most of the AGM's though I havent had many issues.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
battery tender is usually the first accessory I install. They are left plugged in when the bikes are in the garage. Never had to replace a battery yet. The boat batteries have been on a charger/maintainer for the last 3 years. I never bring them in, just leave the maintainer plugged in until the wife needs the power for her block heater for cold nights. She plugs the boat back in when she leaves or the weather warms up a bit

·
Registered
30 Posts
X2 on the battery tender. I use them on my motorcycle, quad and lawnmower. It helps a lot. My motorcycle battery is 10 years old and still going. 😳

1 - 10 of 10 Posts