Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well along with the stator, the cheapo Harbor Freight battery maintainer crapped out too. No real surprise there. I have had pretty good luck with stuff like basic hand tools, anything with no moving parts or electrical components from Harbor Freight, but anything more complex, ummmm, spend a little extra. I just got the brand name Battery Tender Jr. from Wal-Mart for $25.00, so stupid me for getting the crappy one for $21.00 in the first place, LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
I've had the BT jr for a few years and it has worked great for me.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
X2 i got the jr also so far so good

·
Registered
93 Posts
Battery Tender's are awesome, the only thing that sucks is that their SAE plugs are reversed from pretty much any other device that uses the SAE quick connector. So if you're going to use the Battery Tender SAE cable that's on the battery for something else (like a solar charger) check the polarity, you'll likely need to reverse your + & - connections on the battery

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought 3 of these, 9.84 at Walmart. One for each ATV. I have had so issues yet with them.
Schumacher .75 Amp 12 Volt Battery Maintainer and Charger

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 4 of the harbor freight maintainers and they are going on 4 years old. No problems at all, but having said that fingers crossed .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any difference on the Yamaha atv batteries with the 1.5 vs 2 milliamp trickle chargers/maintainers? Last battery I bought at dealer, the parts guy tried to convince me that the Yamaha batteries had to have a 1.5 mA trickle, not the 2 mA trickle.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Any difference on the Yamaha atv batteries with the 1.5 vs 2 milliamp trickle chargers/maintainers? Last battery I bought at dealer, the parts guy tried to convince me that the Yamaha batteries had to have a 1.5 mA trickle, not the 2 mA trickle.
Your parts guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The only difference is 0.5mA.....and the battery does not care if it sees 1.5 or 2.0 mAh.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've always did the initial charge on a fresh battery at low and slow in order to not just get a surface charge, and I am glad the trickle chargers are mostly chargers/maintainers instead of constant charge. I can maybe see a small difference between a 1.5mA and 3mA trickle over a long period for longevity. I chuckled at the parts clerk and chalked it up to him wanting to move an expensive charger out of inventory.......

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 4 of the harbor freight maintainers and they are going on 4 years old. No problems at all, but having said that fingers crossed .
I don't doubt it. It's like most imported electronic stuff these days, a lot of it is fine no matter the price, then a bunch will be crap. Like I said, I've had pretty good luck with most of the Harbor Freight stuff I have bought so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts