Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
I hear threw the rumor mill that Yamaha is working on a 50" SXS, but very very quite on the New Griz twin.
Might work with a few mods like a saddle seat and handle bars and controls. Might need to raise the cage so I could stand up.

Reactions: griz7

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
This discussion started kind'a' revolving around limited funds.....can't have two machines, and don't want to buy then sell, but want to take others on the trail and......
I haven't owned a sxs, but this summer have put a few hundred miles on one doing testing. AND IT SUCKS big time! Oh, and its an off brand....and red so no pictures.
I don't care if you have one, and don't want to start a fight so.....
I ride trails for the excitement of being close to mother nature, and being exposed to everything she hides just outside of town. I enjoy riding the 660 because I AM exposed, and if I screw up I can get scratched up or worse, either riding alone, or in a group or two up.
The 660 is not so dangerous that I need a fire suit, yet I do use a helmet and gloves and eye protection so to this point there is no need for a sxs. Where I go I can fall off a cliff, or hit/run into something and a few years back did fall off a cliff....in that case if I would have been riding a sxs, I would not have got to the cliff and would not have fallen. It was not a safety feature the the sxs that would have helped over an a.t.v. that would have saved me, it would have been a limitation that kept me from getting to the cliff so.....
Then I can carry a case of beer on the 660, so how much more is needed? I can take a chain saw or heavy clothes or a lunch or a gun or a shovel or all this for a 3 day ride, so the sxs is not needed.
1st morning out;
https://flic.kr/p/fSQsqP just getting back;
https://flic.kr/p/fSR7B3 On that trip a sxs would have been useless, and caused the trip to be cut short. A re-route could have been done but would have been against the the point of the trip. That 3 day trip pictured above was to scout part of the route for the one day, 500 mile, trip the next year for when Hammerhead can out. If Hammer was looking in he wold tell his word on a sxs making that trip :)
As for taking a wife, girlfriend or kid, you can easily and safely.......I know some states have rules, and a Grizzly may not fit the rule, so the sxs shines only because of Grizzly limits and legislation, not because the sxs is a better machine.
Then...the machine I have been testing sucks and its red. I have to fold up and squeeeeeze in and in 5 minutes want to stretch my knees. And to do that I need to get out. Then sometimes I take a rider which makes the ride worse and the day experience suck even more.
The first thing is these sxs are heavy, and don't clear rocks and pointy thing in the trail very well so....its baammm, the crash, then damn "I think Something Just Fell Off", then its the going back to pick up parts that makes for a slow day/ride. I stopped picking up bent parts a month ago.
Then there is the engine noise right behind me, not the same as with a Griz.
I think if you go slow to not beat the crap out of a sxs, and don't want to have fun, riding a Griz two up is as safe and fun. If youlike fast, then no to a sxs.
If you have tooo many kids for a two up a.t.v. then how does a sxs fix anything? You going to get a 4 up,or 6 up, then that is more for road riding, take the pick-up.
Oh, and the dust with the sxs is the worst part of the whole deal, coming up through the floor boards along with water 12"s deep. If I want my feet wet I want to be doing this;
https://flic.kr/p/fwP96p https://flic.kr/p/fwP6wv What's going on here is the choice of changing sports for a different riding experience.
And if money is a concern, and you think you can do the same things on a different machine, I will warn you in the last two months more has been spent on this sxs for repairs the the 660 cost new in 2006.
If a sxs works for you, we have two different worlds we ride in,and this is the reason different machines exist, its the conditions that make the difference not the riders preference.
I can take the 660 anywhere a sxs will go, but it doesn't work the other way around.
https://flic.kr/p/oK6k9y

Reactions: griz7

·
Registered
118 Posts
So how much diffrent does a sxs drive than a atv been on my mind alot more and found a few rhinos i am in love with an never drove one so i have no idea .i love my grizz she has never once let me down just gettin old and my son seems to lile sitting in the sxs better that a friend has so i am torn
Well, there are a lot of different types of SxS, so there's a lot of different answers here.

Comparing a Maverick Trail (the 2-seat 50" version) to my Grizzly, the Trail is incredibly stiff, and you get rocked around a LOT from relatively little bumps. I like the Grizz MUCH better. In a SxS, you can't stand up a little and let your legs take some of the movement, so IMHO they need a little more travel than an ATV to keep from throwing you as the rider around... and the 50" SxS just don't have much travel.

I test-drove a few Polaris machines, they all felt like something had failed in the back end... lots of vibration, noise, and clunking. The "bigger" RZRs (more travel) were pretty smooth, but the "smaller" ones (say, the General) were in no way as smooth as the Maverick Sport. I've heard really good things about the ride of the Teryx, but haven't driven one. And the Teryx has a STELLAR 4-wheel drive system. You see them in Moab doing obstacles with zero drama that "bigger" SxS have drama getting up.

Now, comparing a Maverick Sport (60" version) to my Grizzly... the Sport is a TON smoother, has more power, turns faster, is more stable, and is all-over a lot more comfortable and less "work" than the Grizz. I still like the Grizzly more just because I like the "riding on the machine" vs "riding in the machine", but I have to say.... the sport is AMAZING. The x3 line is pretty slick too, but the seats in it are too far reclined for my taste, and 60" was as wide as I wanted to go.

For the people saying the SxS are for slow riding... if you're talking super tight, technical stuff, sure. If it's more open... my wife gets in the Sport, and puts the hammer down. I ride the living HELL out of my Grizz, until I'm scared I'm going to rip a ball joint apart or tear an A-Arm right off, and there's still no way I can catch up to her. :LOL: With roughly twice the suspension travel, and some well-tuned Fox 2.5 shocks, that thing really hits above its weight class. Every single person I've let drive it has remarked at how unbelievably smooth it is, how well it takes the rough stuff, how there's zero steering feedback, etc..

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So i am gunna see about the rhino i posted an see if i can take her for a ride an go from there and if they say no well thr grizzly stays an i will just go new once the time is right and get eps etc

·
Registered
118 Posts
So i am gunna see about the rhino i posted an see if i can take her for a ride an go from there and if they say no well thr grizzly stays an i will just go new once the time is right and get eps etc
Yeah, don't buy ANY UTV without driving it... and I'd go so far as to say don't buy ANY UTV unless you've driven 5-10 different kinds of UTVs. Like I said... there are HUGE differences between makes and models. Find the one that fits what YOU want out of it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a Grizzly and had a RZR 1000XP. They are 2 different rides. The ride comfort was great, but I had Evan Walker shocks. I enjoyed driving the rzr and just being able to press the gas and go. It was nice because I always had the spare seat for someone if the wife didn’t come. Yet I still missed driving my four wheeler that how I got the grizzly. That being said...everyone here can through out their opinions. I would agree with those who say if you can ride one with a friend a few times even drive it some go from there. The only thing I regret about the rzr was how much it cost to buy it. Forget spending $20k plus again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really though I wanted a SxS and luckly my favorite dealer carries most brands and has a pretty extensive test area along with a few trails near by to run them through the mill. It came down to the Wolverine X4 as that checked the most boxed but in the end I picked up a Kodiak 700se and kept both my Ranchers as neither the wife or daughter wanted to be a passenger.
So how much diffrent does a sxs drive than a atv been on my mind alot more and found a few rhinos i am in love with an never drove one so i have no idea .i love my grizz she has never once let me down just gettin old and my son seems to lile sitting in the sxs better that a friend has so i am torn
i have a 15 Grizzly 700 , absolutely love it ! Recently bought a 2020 Viking EPS mainly because I wanted to ride with the wife , and buying another 4 wheeler might not have been as economical considering that the Viking offers a lot of versatility, and it hasn’t cooled down since I brought it home 😂. Point being now the family can go and with a little imagination the Viking can be used for just about anything short of driving to work , unless your a farmer or someone of the like . I make up things to do with it just because it makes normal fun . I guess in the end that’s somewhat priceless. So having a tilt bed , cab , three seats , and the wife out and about was actually a logical step . But I would never trade my Grizzly for one ! Just saying !

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ty all after reading reading again an alot of thinkong prob my beat bet is to stick woth the grizz maybe someday ill have to drive a sxs yamaha of course for a bit before i can pull the trigger if i like it . I love the rhinos alot love the beds an all just most i seen are beat up an this one has stuck in my head since i seen it

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
i have a 15 Grizzly 700 , absolutely love it ! Recently bought a 2020 Viking EPS mainly because I wanted to ride with the wife , and buying another 4 wheeler might not have been as economical considering that the Viking offers a lot of versatility, and it hasn’t cooled down since I brought it home 😂. Point being now the family can go and with a little imagination the Viking can be used for just about anything short of driving to work , unless your a farmer or someone of the like . I make up things to do with it just because it makes normal fun . I guess in the end that’s somewhat priceless. So having a tilt bed , cab , three seats , and the wife out and about was actually a logical step . But I would never trade my Grizzly for one ! Just saying !
I too just picked up a 2020 Viking EPS yesterday. Keeping my Kodiak for now, but I sold my 2001 Honda Rubicon wendsday night in less than 3 hours after posting it on facebook market place for $800 more than I bought it for 3 years ago. My phone was lit up all night with guy's trying to buy it, I should have asked more for it. It was a dealer that bought it to resell because they cant keep them in stock. The Viking will suit me better as a work horse on my property and the Kodiak is for fun. My biggest concern with the new Viking is crossing my river when the water gets higher spring and fall, even though it is much heavier it will be pushed by more water on the side by the current. May have to take the doors off so water can pass thru it, the doors are a little anoying anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
I too just picked up a 2020 Viking EPS yesterday. Keeping my Kodiak for now, but I sold my 2001 Honda Rubicon wendsday night in less than 3 hours after posting it on facebook market place for $800 more than I bought it for 3 years ago. My phone was lit up all night with guy's trying to buy it, I should have asked more for it. It was a dealer that bought it to resell because they cant keep them in stock. The Viking will suit me better as a work horse on my property and the Kodiak is for fun. My biggest concern with the new Viking is crossing my river when the water gets higher spring and fall, even though it is much heavier it will be pushed by more water on the side by the current. May have to take the doors off so water can pass thru it, the doors are a little anoying anyway.
Gosh that tickled me, letting the water flow through not something many of us think about having lived in Alaska in the 80's for a bit.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
My buddy just ditched his Artic Cat SxS for a new Suzuki 750 King Quad. He's sooo much happier with his new atv. Completely regrets buying the SxS first place.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts