Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my 2010 Honda and was thinking about the 2016 Grizzly EPS SE. My question is about the belt drive, how long may it be until I would have to change a drive belt. I am retired so my riding is not aggressive. I have a couple of friends that just bought the new Honda's and they are having problems with the shifting on these 2016 so I am seriously considering the Yamaha. I realize no belts would be changed yet on the 2016 model but in your past experience what amount of miles would one expect to get on a belt.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
For the type of riding your gonna do, the belt will probably last as long the bike and will never need replacement. There is a reason why Yamaha has built the reputation of having the most durable and reliable automatics in the business. And there is people on here with the miles to prove it. You will get responses from people with over 5000 miles on the original stock belt.

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
I have the stock belt on my '06' 660 and its not close to min. spec.
Of the 8000 miles on the bike, 1000 miles used others belts experimenting with the pulley ratios.
The stock belt is tough, and the rest of the system is tougher.
Dusty conditions will require the primary grease to be replaced every now and then and that is easy to do.

The Yamaha system cannot be beat for durability, but if you insist on constantly shifting the Yamaha is not for you.
Personally I like the ability of going from mud and rocks straight to the highway speed without shifting anything. Just squeeze the throttle and GO!

·
Registered
171 Posts
How much is min spec for belt? Mine is 31mm wide when new belt is 33 mm wide

·
Registered
129 Posts
To answer OPs question on belt life, I would suggest you would be smart to change at 25,000 miles just to be on the safe side :rocker:

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My old 99 grizzly 600 still runs on a farm and is over 20,000km and it is on original equipment except for breaks gas and oil

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm on the original belt on my 05 660 with 6,500 miles on it. The belt measures 32mm wide and the book says to replace it when it gets down to 31mm. I think new is 33mm wide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like I am going to make the right choice to switch from Honda to Yamaha.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like I am going to make the right choice to switch from Honda to Yamaha.
What model Honda do you have? I have an 05 Rubicon that has been trouble free for 6000 miles. I made the switch to Yamaha this year because I needed irs and power steering. I ride with several people that have older 660 Grizzly's and they never changed the belt. I had a friend with a Kawasaki and it ate up a lot of belts. I also did not trust the new Honda transmission and have read about the problems on the forums. My Rubicon has the smoothest quietest transmission I ever rode on an atv. To bad they did not continue making it on the new Rubicon. Depending on what model Honda you have the Yamaha will be noisier and turn more rpm while cruising.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My 2009 Grizzly 700 had 5000 kilometers (Canada) on the original belt when I sold the machine. It looked absolutely brand new, and performed flawlessly.
You'd really have to do something silly like swamp the bike over the bars, leave all the muddy water in the belt cover, and drive the machine 40 miles back home on a slipping belt to ruin it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What model Honda do you have? I have an 05 Rubicon that has been trouble free for 6000 miles. I made the switch to Yamaha this year because I needed irs and power steering. I ride with several people that have older 660 Grizzly's and they never changed the belt. I had a friend with a Kawasaki and it ate up a lot of belts. I also did not trust the new Honda transmission and have read about the problems on the forums. My Rubicon has the smoothest quietest transmission I ever rode on an atv. To bad they did not continue making it on the new Rubicon. Depending on what model Honda you have the Yamaha will be noisier and turn more rpm while cruising.
Mine is the 10 Rubicon and you are right it is a great machine. I have about 7200 km on it and the shifting was fine. I am getting a new one because I want P/S and IRS like you. I have been looking at the 16 Honda but like you have heard bad things about the tranny shifting and my 2 friends bought theirs and nothing but problems. I guess I have made up my mind now Yamaha here I come.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
When I sold my 2012 700 it was still on the original belt with over 25,000km on it , too add to that my cvt clutch system was never apart or touched . I highly doubt that I will ever even look at my belt on this 16 .

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
just to add to the conversation... a lot of people nervous about going to belts seem to be overly worried about belt life. everyone has given good advice here. they last forever in yamaha's system. but even when they do fail... on both yamaha and other machines with crappy designs.. you are looking at a $100 part and about 30 minutes for a marginally capable shadetree mechanic.

the belt system on these and other machines do need to be serviced. although the belt will last... things like grease and seals do not. now... a lot of people can get by without that, sure. especially if you arent into spirited riding... old fouled grease and leaky seals wont strand you anywhere. a lot of people dont even notice that their belt is slipping slightly.. however, if you want it performing at peak efficiency... after 2000 miles you should probably have it serviced...

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
just to add to the conversation... a lot of people nervous about going to belts seem to be overly worried about belt life. everyone has given good advice here. they last forever in yamaha's system. but even when they do fail... on both yamaha and other machines with crappy designs.. you are looking at a $100 part and about 30 minutes for a marginally capable shadetree mechanic.

the belt system on these and other machines do need to be serviced. although the belt will last... things like grease and seals do not. now... a lot of people can get by without that, sure. especially if you arent into spirited riding... old fouled grease and leaky seals wont strand you anywhere. a lot of people dont even notice that their belt is slipping slightly.. however, if you want it performing at peak efficiency... after 2000 miles you should probably have it serviced...
Could not have said it better myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I traded my 2009 550 grizzly in it had 15000kms(9300miles)on it. I never replaced the belt. Every 2000 miles i cleaned the clutch and replaced the grease. I think the Yamaha transmission is the best in the business.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i made the switch in july and haven't looked back, moved up to a 2015 grizzly from a 01 450 foreman, the first time i used the grizzly was a 2 day weekend trip i brought the foreman for a friend to ride, after a few stops i hopped on the foreman for a few minutes and wasn't long hopping back off it, the grizzly has it beat in every category i could see so far, fit finish comfort and power, the durability test comes with time, for now though, more then satisfied with it. hope you enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
For 95% of the people that ride a grizzly, you will never change a belt in the life of the quad. As the belt ages you actually pick up more bottom end torque as the belt rides lower. Also the spec between new belts can be off significantly. I have seen new belts come in at 32-34 mm.

Grease in the clutch rarely needs changed as the weights barely touch it. That is unless you swamp the clutch with mud and swamp water then you will need to change the grease. After about 5 years the grease gets a little cakey so it would be advised to change out but again depends on conditions. A quick peak will reveal all.

By design the belt on the grizzly does not slip on engagement like other systems contributing to its long life. The belt is always engaged rather than slip and go like kawi, canam and Polaris. Downside is performance suffers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
New to the grizzly my self, not to get off topic or anything, at what speed or engine rpm do you knock it into low gear? On occasion I will be riding two up, and in BC we have some pretty good hills and technical stuff. Just looking for the best longevity for belt and bike. Is there a general "rule of thumb"?

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
New to the grizzly my self, not to get off topic or anything, at what speed or engine rpm do you knock it into low gear? On occasion I will be riding two up, and in BC we have some pretty good hills and technical stuff. Just looking for the best longevity for belt and bike. Is there a general "rule of thumb"?
Come to a stop, the gears are not synchronized.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

Theres no way that I'm going to service my clutch every 8 weeks , I see no need .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts