Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 660 grizzly from this 82 year old man who used it on his farm. He bought it new and it has what looks like a very easy 1000 miles on it. I had a honda foreman which was shaft driven. I will be using it to plow snow, occasional trail, and dragging a baseball field and don't want to end up stranded. Since I made the obvious upgrade to the grizzly my question is on average how long do these belts last? 1k, 2k, 5k miles? First post BTW.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I have 7000 miles on my original belt and still going.
You can inspect your belt for wear or cracking and while in there service the pulleys.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I had over 15,000 miles on my belt on my 2012 but seeing its what 11 / 12 years old I'd check it for wear .

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
With proper clutch maintenance, the belt on a Yamaha will last almost as long as the machine itself. There is a reason the Yamaha Ultramatic has the reputation of being the most reliable and durable automatic transmission on the market, including Honda's automatics. This reliability comes from a very simplistic design yet very stringent build quality.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
With proper clutch maintenance, the belt on a Yamaha will last almost as long as the machine itself. There is a reason the Yamaha Ultramatic has the reputation of being the most reliable and durable automatic transmission on the market, including Honda's automatics. This reliability comes from a very simplistic design yet very stringent build quality.
My clutch system had no / zero maintenance it was never touched in over 15,000 miles , it worked perfect as did the one way .

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
My clutch system had no / zero maintenance it was never touched in over 15,000 miles , it worked perfect as did the one way .
Which goes to prove how durable and tough the Ultramatic is.
But just imagine how it would operate if you did give it some maintenance.....lol.

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
Cleaning has a lot to do with riding conditions.
This was in a little dust around Moab. 200 miles and the air filter was clogged. 350 miles for the trip and I could feel the grit in the C.V.T. grease.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm always riding alone ( aka Lonerider ) so my bear don't see much dust .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Dirt trax tv just tested the 2016 Kodak 700. When the cvt came up in the review, the tester spoke of how durable it was and that the belt life is just "stupid" (interpret as ridiculously long). Go to minute 2:30 for cvt/belt review part.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tW_EEPf-7gc

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts