Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, out rididng in WV at HMT. Played in alot of water and noticed belt slipping. Towed back to camp and pulled drain plug and found oil, not water. Anybody know of a quick fix, no dealer nearby and only on first day of riding. May need to rent another machine....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Maybe an oil seal needs to be changed. I don't think a quick fix exists for an oil seal leak. If you mention what model and year, someone with the proper knowledge will chime in soon.
And welcome to GC!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Help, out rididng in WV at HMT. Played in alot of water and noticed belt slipping. Towed back to camp and pulled drain plug and found oil, not water. Anybody know of a quick fix, no dealer nearby and only on first day of riding. May need to rent another machine....
There is no quick fix for that. Only the proper fix.

You need to pull the belt cover and see which seal is leaking, the one behind the primary clutch (engine side) or the seal behind the secondary clutch (transmission side). Once you figure out which seal it is, replace it, top up the oil and ride on.

In many cases, I replace both seals. Not really required, but it's peace of mind knowing both seals are new and should be good for another long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, it's a 2016 700. I understand there are two seals and if I am going to be in there for one I may as well do both. I looked on YouTube and for the first time ever I couldn't find what I wanted. What seals are they other than oil seals? I would think an output shaft. I have'nt had this apart and am a little skeptical. Last seals I ever replaced were many years ago were axle seals on trucks. Time to get dirty!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Thanks for the advice, it's a 2016 700. I understand there are two seals and if I am going to be in there for one I may as well do both. I looked on YouTube and for the first time ever I couldn't find what I wanted. What seals are they other than oil seals? I would think an output shaft. I have'nt had this apart and am a little skeptical. Last seals I ever replaced were many years ago were axle seals on trucks. Time to get dirty!
Inside the belt case, there 2 shaft oil seals, and case seal for wet clutch cover. The oils seals can fail sometimes and is the most likely cause of the oil getting into the belt box. The primary shaft seal is the common one to leak, but I have seen the secondary clutch seal leak too.

Eaay to replace. Remove belt cover. Remove cage over primary clutch. Remove belt. Depending on which seal is leaking, removing the clutch required to access seal. Pry out the old seal. Tap in new seal. CLEAN everything.
Since your in there, now would be a fantastic time to service the primary clutch. Reassemble everything. Top up engine oil. Go ride.

·
Premium Member
10,648 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts