Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does your belt last?

With 1200 miles my belt has a little over 1mm(28.54MM) of wear compared to the new OEM @ 29.74MM. (Wear limit is 27mm.) I know different factors come in to play, but should I expect more out of my belt?

·
Registered
863 Posts
8500 kilometers on mine and still in spec, hard riding with lots of on/off throttle.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
I've got 6900 miles on my '07 450 Grizz, haven't even looked at the belt. My local dealer told me, unless its slipping, don't mess with it.

Reactions: Poorfolks

·
Registered
402 Posts
TrailWolf thanks for the specs. I posted a question in the ''clutch ratio'' thread and you just answered it. As you know miles really don't mean much because mine is 28.60mm @824 hard working miles. Mine should be good for quite a while.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
I regularly cleaned my clutch and checked my belt and i didn't put the new one on until i had over 10,000 miles on mine... Also i do ride hard and in n out of throttle all the time...

Reactions: AZ08Grizz

·
Registered
30 Posts
I changed mine out on my 06 Kodiak 450 at 2300 miles because I did the coop mod 3 to the clutch. It had about 1 mm of wear to it but overall the belt looked ok. Bought a dayco belt and runs great now. Also had the machinist at work "true" the other sheave.

·
CRASH STUNT MEMBER
8,094 Posts
I have just over 5,000 miles and have not done a thing to it yet.
Plenty of snap in the throttle still.:rocker:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Got 10000km on mine and checked the belt last week, looks like I just bought it :icon_ goofy:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yamaha belts never die!!! Just replaced the one on my 2000 Kodiak 400. Not sure how many miles as there is no odometer, but lots of hard miles on it. The belt looked nearly new, but I had it apart and put the new one on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to chk my belt tonight on my 2009 450 grizz. I just bough the quad a month ago and I can't get it up over 35 mph. I've read up on this forum and many point to a dirty carburetor but the dealerships i bought it from said they cleaned it before I picked it up. I really don't believe they did anything to it at all. I've had a hard time finding specs for the v-belt. Minimum wear is 27mm? I also found a huge difference in prices online for replacement belts. Yamaha wants $100+ while I can get one on Ebay for $35. W/free shipping. Any brands to stay away from?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I'm going to chk my belt tonight on my 2009 450 grizz. I just bough the quad a month ago and I can't get it up over 35 mph. I've read up on this forum and many point to a dirty carburetor but the dealerships i bought it from said they cleaned it before I picked it up. I really don't believe they did anything to it at all. I've had a hard time finding specs for the v-belt. Minimum wear is 27mm? I also found a huge difference in prices online for replacement belts. Yamaha wants $100+ while I can get one on Ebay for $35. W/free shipping. Any brands to stay away from?
Stick to yamaha belt. Cheap aftermarkets are junk.

Start by doing a full service to your cvt system.

Reactions: wgc

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The only brands of belts to stay away from are the ones that aren't branded yamaha oem.

There are several parts on these bikes that you just don't cheap out on, oem only. One way bearing and the belt are probably the 2 most important on that list.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts