Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, as the title states what is the best alternative to Original Bighorns? I love how long and durable they last, I'm just not crazy paying the premium they're now asking for them. I travel to a lot of destinations outside of Michigan, usually in rocky conditions (Colorado, Utah, South Dakota), so I'm more interested in grip, than mud. I'm actually looking at the Kenda Bearclaw HTR's, but not sure if someone has introduced a better Rocky terrain and long lasting tire lately I should consider. Thanks in advance!!!

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
I had to switch to the Bearclaw HTR's because Pitbull growlers are not available. Got around 2000 miles on them. They are pretty good in the sharp cobble rock crawling out here in NM, good in sand, fair in Wisconsin mud.. They would be a good tire for SD and CO. Have rode a just little Moab type rock they worked good. If Pitbulls were a benchmark 10 the Bearclaws, IMO would be an 8 for all around traction. They seem to be wearing faster than the Pitbulls.
Can beat the price.
Plant Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

· Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Reogem! That's the answer I was looking for. I know at one time Bighorns and Bearclaws were the standard for rocks a few years ago, now it sounds like the Pitbull brand may be the way to go nowadays.

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Just looked at my records and my odometer yesterday only 1700 miles on the BC's

I would go back to Pitbulls in a heart beat but it looks like ATV tires have been eliminated.

Reactions: plumbob98

· Registered
101 Posts
Another vote for Bearclaws. Love mine, had a couple sets of them and always had great luck with them.

Heres a set of 27x9.5x14 on my 21 se to replace the stock zillas.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

· Premium Member
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your responses!! Much appreciated!!

· Registered
179 Posts
How do the 27" Bearclaws measure? My 27" Zillas measure at 26", maybe even a tad less.

I'm in the same boat as many others, looking to replace my Zillas with Bighorn OGs or something similar. I forget who mentioned it on this forum, but the Bighorns can go on sale for a decent discount. Probably still more than the Bearclaws, but maybe close enough to go either direction.

Another vote for Bearclaws. Love mine, had a couple sets of them and always had great luck with them.

Heres a set of 27x9.5x14 on my 21 se to replace the stock zillas.

· Registered
101 Posts
How do the 27" Bearclaws measure? My 27" Zillas measure at 26", maybe even a tad less.

I'm in the same boat as many others, looking to replace my Zillas with Bighorn OGs or something similar. I forget who mentioned it on this forum, but the Bighorns can go on sale for a decent discount. Probably still more than the Bearclaws, but maybe close enough to go either direction.
My 27" zillas measured 25.375" at 5psi 27"htrs measure 26.5" at 5psi. both measurements using a level at top of tire and on concrete.

· Registered
41 Posts
Zillas are very short for their advertised size. That might contribute to why they weigh less than competitors tires of the same size-you’re getting less rubber!! I’ll always be a fan of Zillas though. They work great in my application.

· Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
Zillas are very short for their advertised size. That might contribute to why they weigh less than competitors tires of the same size-you’re getting less rubber!! I’ll always be a fan of Zillas though. They work great in my application.
Almost all tires are smaller than their advertised diameter. That's nothing to do with why zillas are lighter. Zillas are a bias tire, which will be way lighter than a radial, they also come with large lug space far apart. Very little rubber to account for the weight.

· Registered
170 Posts
Is it possible to just buy the real bighorns? I know a grand is a ton of money for atv tires.

· Premium Member
2022 Grizzly 700 SE, Superwinch Terra 3500SR, Black Boar Cargo Trunk & Kenimoto passenger foot rest
190 Posts
I'd agree with most of what others have said about the HTRs. The HTRs seem to be a pretty hard compound, damn near slid off my loading ramp this winter and have never had this occur before. Should be long lasting but at the cost of some traction. If Braven/Pitbull is really releasing the Hellhound with same compound the Rocker had.......might just have to replace the HTRs. Unless you need new tires NOW, I'd wait to see what the Hellhound availability is. Once you've experienced the performance Rockers provided it's hard to take a step back from that.

Reactions: plumbob98

· Registered
179 Posts
So, the Zillas run small and the Bighorn OGs sound like they run a little taller than advertised. At least in the sizes we're talking in this thread.

What about width? Do tires generally measure as advertised for with, or is it the same story with height where the numbers on the sidewall don't mean too much? I'm wondering if the 9" wide Bighorn OG's are about the same true width as the 10" wide Zillas.

· Super Moderator
2,021 Posts
I used to have my own tire shop years ago, then managed air one after. This was one question that was very hard to answer, and usually too a bit of work to get accurate information. Width is dependent on the rim you are installing it on but also manufacture specs. Every tire made has a recommended rim width range. Just for an example and just pulling numbers out of the air. Nothing factual right here but just to give an idea.
25x8x12 may have a recommended rim range from 6.5 to 9. So 2.5" then a 25x10x12 may have a range of 9 to 12 so a 3" range. Both tires can safety be mounted on a 9" wheel. Mounting on any rim within that tires range will keep it relatively close to the specified width. The width the manufacturer uses is usually a rim very close to midway of the rim range.
Another note is withe is measured sidewall to sidewall, not bead to bead, not at tread level. The contact patch of the tread is another measurement, typically a bit narrower than width.

Now to throw another kink into this, everything I stated above tends to hold true for most tire companies to be a car tires from Michelin or Bridgestone or Goodyear or ATV tires from Maxis, ITP or Sedona. The problem lies with cheaper made tires from places like Malaysia or Singapore. Both very bad for inaccurate information. Tires from China depends on if they are the smaller fly by night companies or for some of the well established companies have been around for years that make tires just as higher quality as the big names.

· Registered
179 Posts
I guess I’ll just have to buy a set and mount them up to find out;) Sounds like a lot of factors at play. I spent four years working part time in a tire shop back in the day, but never dealt with ATV tires so this is still a bit new to me. Just a guess, but I bet the 9” Bighorns will measure very close to the stock Zillas. Would prefer them a little wider even, since these 14 wheels don’t get much protection from the Zillas.

· Registered
138 Posts

I remember seeing them (Bighorns) go on sale before too, do you happen to remember what time of year that was approximately?

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Just a guess, but I bet the 9” Bighorns will measure very close to the stock Zillas. Would prefer them a little wider even, since these 14 wheels don’t get much protection from the Zillas.
I've not seen an a.t.v. tire, stock or aftermarket that runs flat on the ground across the tread on dry trails that are dished or on rocks.
https://flic.kr/p/mHZfr8 https://flic.kr/p/gM5q7e https://flic.kr/p/gM5iC2 I like the 9" up front, that's all I need and the 12"ers out back work great. The 12"ers are 11" wide true.
In snow or wet conditions I think the wider tire does better, I can't prove it for sure but I ride with guys using narrower tires and see the trouble they have on the same trails.
This is heading up the Imogene, notice the snow on the tire treads, the rears are the only tires pulling. I use 2 wheel to get stuck and 4 wheel to get out. skinny all around has its place but skinny wide is what I use here.
https://flic.kr/p/gdTpNd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts