Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading post on here for several months, I think it would be a no brainer, and find it hard to argue taking the Kodiak. All I’ve seen is how they are the same besides a little money making some small changes in the clutch, so if you make the suspension 10x better than the Grizzly stock, why wouldn’t you spend your money more wisely.

Grizzly SE or Kodiak SE with Stage 4 Elka’s all around???

Let’s say you were only going to spend a certain amount, and it came out even for these two options. Which would you think is best?

Now I’ve got a Grizzly SE with these Elka’s money wasn’t a concern on that purchase, but now I’m looking to purchase another ATV for one of my boys, and making it my fifth, looking at value.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am jealous of your boy. Seems the seating on the Grizz is preferred often to the Kodi but I would save money on the deal, get the Kodi, the stage 4's, and a sheave and be good.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Mechanically they might be very close, but to me there is no comparison to the looks of the 2 machines.
The look was why I chose the grizzly over the kodiak.
They just don’t look the same to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mechanically they might be very close, but to me there is no comparison to the looks of the 2 machines.
The look was why I chose the grizzly over the kodiak.
They just don’t look the same to me.

Still, if it was free I would take a Kodi.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kodiaks didn't come in white so I had to get the grizzly.....lol. I like the overall size and feel of the grizzly, that alone is why I didn't consider the Kodiak. For my kids though I would consider a Kodiak. Both great machines.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I agree. Both great machines.
Just look a lot different to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it would depend on your son's age, size and experience. I think the Kodiak is great if you want a toned down machine and smaller size, but if he wants power with better shocks, higher bars, thicker seat, more clearance and full size then the Grizz is the way to go. I test rode the Kodiak at a Yamaha Factory event and the handling, suspension, power and ergonomics were so much different than the Grizzly, I couldn't wait to get back on my Grizzly, they may look familiar but to me they handle totally different. Also I've had Sportsman's in the past with cushy suspension and I think the Grizzly's stock suspension is just as comfortable. They are both great machines though. JMHO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y’all are missing the point of my thread!!!

Let me rephrase, since one got into looks and then another even brought up stock suspension and comfort on Grizzly.
Let’s go again-
If you only had $10k, what would be the better bike?
A stock Grizzly, or a Kodiak with Elka Stage 4 Shocks all around plus a few hundred in the clutch for same weights and system as the Grizzly?

So many say the same machine, and Elka’s are so much better (I have some, they are)
So this build would have to be better!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Test drove both last October, I went home with a Grizzly 700 EPS SE, and so far I am glad of it.
Marcus40

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I think your son will be thrilled with either one. I’d lean toward the Kodi with Elkas. But keep in mind that I don’t have Elkas and want them really really really really really really really bad.

·
Site Founder
4,961 Posts
The narrower front end of the Kodiaks makes them more agile. For that reason alone, I'd take the Kodiak SE.

Correct me if they widened them at all...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
How about a low mileage/hour 2010 to 2015 Grizzly,($4800 to $5500) add the Elkas($1300) and good tires($500), have a better trail machine than the new Kodi for about $7300 total, tops? I'd take that any day, LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think your son will be thrilled with either one. I’d lean toward the Kodi with Elkas. But keep in mind that I don’t have Elkas and want them really really really really really really really bad.
@okbear, that's 7 "really's", LOL!!! I know exactly where you are coming from!!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Better Choice - Grizzly or Kodiak with Elka’s

mainehunter; that's 7 "really's" said:
I would love to try Elka’s but I’d have to ride on them before I could drop $2k on shocks.
I’d need a 30 day trial period. If I wasn’t 100% satisfied I could return them.
I’m just so scared I like them but not like them $2k worth of like.
My buddy has a them on his Canam 1000 max xt limited.
His air shocks messed up and he replaced with Elka stage 3’s
When you ask him, he says “ they’re good ( with a face that says “ I have to say something nice because I dropped $2k on shocks, face.) it’s never a “I love them! Kind of face..
that scares me.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I would take the Kodiak over the Grizzly no matter of the shocks. My reasoning is, Yamaha made the Grizzly wider than pre '16. I tend to ride tighter 50" trails, so when you start off on a stock machine at 49-1/2" and then add aftermarket tires, your width goes way over the 50" mark. This was one of the main reasons for switching to a Can-am Renegade. As far as shocks go, I'd steer completely away from Elkas. I bought them and after a year and a half started leaking. I called Elka and basically they wanted half the cost of new to rebuild and most local shock re-builders don't carry stuff to do Elkas, so you're at the mercy of sending them back to Elka for rebuild. On top of that I didn't notice a big difference in ride compared to the stock grizz pogo sticks(they were stage 1's though). I would look into Fox Podiums, they're a sweet ride! Hope this helps!

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
There are plenty more differences between the 2 besides shocks and clutch that should be considered in choosing the right machine. The Grizzly is the best choice IMO if money isn't an issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
“There are plenty more differences between the 2 besides shocks and clutch that should be considered in choosing the right machine. The Grizzly is the best choice IMO if money isn't an issue.“

Okay, so what all are the differences for $2k? Talking about SE models like I originally posted. Value- same engine, 1 inch bigger tires, a little to be done with the clutch. If you put a lot better suspension Elka’s or Fox, doesn’t matter, value- what’s the difference? Besides the cheap look on the tail light which I can’t stand, what else is there?
I’ve read comfort from other posted above, okay the seat bc we threw out the suspension, I’m just getting at what is the best value.
When you are taking about a 20 percent increase in price, I can understand it when you compare a Honda with 20 hp less but these ATVs are basically the same and so what justifies 20 percent the cost?

I’m just asking, bc if you had to seriously advise someone on a budget how to spend x amont on an ATV, wouldn’t the better set up be the Kodiak?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Which one does your boy like better when he sits on it? Sounds like you already have your mind made up on the Kodiak.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
How about a low mileage/hour 2010 to 2015 Grizzly,($4800 to $5500) add the Elkas($1300) and good tires($500), have a better trail machine than the new Kodi for about $7300 total, tops? I'd take that any day, LOL!!!
That’s definitely an option to consider unless you’re dead set on buying new. Lots of guys don’t like used because they “don’t know what they’re getting.” I have bought a lot of used machines and aside from minor repairs, I haven’t had a problem. I really take my time checking a used machine out. Somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour. I’ll even warn sellers that I’ll be checking the machine over for quite awhile when I show up. Mostly because I don’t want them to have to be someplace and me hold them up. Also so that they might give info on any issues that haven’t been disclosed already. Bring tools and check everything from diffs to oil to air intake. On top of already saving you money, the little stuff you might find on your inspection that are simple fixes gives you price negotiating points to save more money. Definitely consider maine’s suggestion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'll assume ride quality is important to you sense you are considering Elka's. I think your best choice is the Grizzly. I say this because it has a very nice ride out of the box. You also get an increased ride height and additional travel not offered in the Kodiak. Adding Elka's to the mix does provide quiet a bit of adjustability to the set up and will only improve comfort and performance.

I say start with the better machine and let the boy save for the Elka's when he is ready.

Reactions: okbear
1 - 20 of 23 Posts