Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question if someone could help me out I would gladly appreciate it. I was riding my 350 big bear 1999 down the street and it completely died I don’t know what’s wrong with it. Now the oil temp light stays on when I try to start it it doesn’t go off at all. Is it the transmission? Pistons ? I don’t know much about four wheelers could some one give me a starting point please

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Is it locked up?
Does the engine crank over, just not start?
Does the red oil temp light illuminate continuously or only when you press the start button? (It is supposed to illuminate when you press the starter button. That is normal. It is how the light is tested to make sure it works).

We need more information to help you. What exactly happened?
What exactly is happening now?
What troubleshooting have you done so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply . I’ve checked to see if the oil was low, it was gave it an oil change. Checked to see if the engine was locked it wasn’t the chain in the top in still moves and I was rotating the bolt with a 14in socket. Still nothing the oil temp light comes on and stays on as soon as I hit the starter button on the handle bars.

what could of possibly happened ? As I was going down the trail it completely side sounded like it idled down and shut off it white smoke came from like underneath or maybe from in between not sure where it came. Could it have did that from lack of oil ? Just trying to find a way to getit started and back running again

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
Pull the plug and turn the engine over by hand, sounds like broke rings. See if she's smooth or binding up.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
How low on oil was it? If it was low enough, it could have scored the piston/rings/cylinder.
Do a compression test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was very low on oil maybe an half of a quart came out during the oil change. I’ll try an compression test tomorrow I turned the engine over by hand it’s smooth. Maybe the rings in the head need realigned?

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
Rings can be replaced, not realigned.
Let us know after the compression test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts