Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Big Bear 350 4x4. The guy says it's a 1996...not sure. The ignition switch is on the right front body/fender area. Maybe someone can help me with the year of that body style?

Also, he said the left hand shifter is H/N/R. Is that correct? I thought it was H/L/R?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
That is not a 1996....

The bike in those pictures is at least a 1992, as that was the last year of the H/L/R shifter located on the left fender with front rack shaped around it.
In 1993 Yamaha moved this shifter to the left side of the engine.

It looks like a 1992 Big Bear 350 "Special Edition" model. The Special Edition just means it had gold trims with nicer decals and red plastics. Basically it looked nicer.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Fantastic, tough bikes too. Very tough. Very capable work horses. Rides quality of a rock crusher though.

If you do buy it, immediately pull the rear axle and clean the rust from the crown gear area splines. Then grease the hell out of it and reinstall. Due to age, these models are known for stripping these splines due to rust. And a replacement axle cost more than the bike is worth. A couple hours of your time will prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up Dezz. I'm sure it can be a real workhorse, but the potential rear axle cost is a deal breaker for me. I got burned before on a Bear Tracker years ago with a rear diff that went bad soon after buying. Not worth the headache.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts