Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to a 96 big bear 4wd that is blown up and considered junk. They say the 4wd worked fine. My new to me 2001 Big Bear 400 is only 2wd. Looking at it I see mounts for the front diff and caps where the hubs would receive the axles. Do these parts interchange? Can it really be that easy? The transfer appears to bolt on where the u joint is for the current driveshaft and I assume there is a shorter driveshaft on the 4wd to make up the difference in length? My apologies for all of the questions but I am farmer that uses my machines for daily chores in all sorts of bad conditions and 4wd would be very nice if not necessity at times.

·
Vendor
686 Posts
We've swapped hubs with disc brakes from a newer big bear to a 96 model and had to do control arm modifications. It worked though. I'm not sure how different the 350 and 400 big bear engines are. The 2001, is it a 400? It could probably be done, not sure if it would be a plug and play easy install though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you swapped hubs the axles fit tho right???? It appears to be the same part for both models when I look up the axle parts.
Yes it is a 400 and the donor is a 350 so I am going to have to do some more research to see if the trans housings are the same there.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts