Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a dumb question but can anyone tell me how to bleed the front brake calipers on a big bear. Also, I am putting a new piston into one of the calipers, so should that be done before or after bleeding? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Put piston and seals in, install the caliper, then bleed, You will probably need to bleed both sides. Get someone to help you it will make it much easier.

Reactions: Big_Bear400

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
When your bleeding the brakes, make sure to push the pistons all the way in the caliper, then hold them.in using a c-clamp.

Reactions: Big_Bear400

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When your bleeding the brakes, make sure to push the pistons all the way in the caliper, then hold them.in using a c-clamp.
So I hold the pistons in while i am bleeding it? And is there a tool or something I need to buy to bleed them. It is the first time I have ever done it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Yes you have that correct. Push the piston all the way in. This is best done using brake pad up against the piston and hold using a c-clamp.

There is no special tools required. Get another person to help you though. Pump the brake handle 3 or 4 times, then hold. Open the bleed screw for a couple seconds, then close the bleed screw. Do Not even let go of the brake handle with the bleed screw open. Once bleed screw is closed, pump handle again 3/4 times then hold and open bleeder again.
Repeat this procedure until nothing but fluid comes out of bleed screw.

Remember to top up the brake fluid reservoir ever 2 or 3 times you bleed.

If you need more information, watch a video of it. YouTube has has videos showing how to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts