Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching for answers to intermittent grinding noise my 1995 Big Bear makes. Seems to be whenever I touch the rear brake lever. Sounds more like the rear end grinding than the normal brake sounds. But why when I touch the brakes? Took the diff apart and it doesn’t look bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your brake pads are probably worn out in the rear. The rear brake is a disc brake set up enclosed in a tin shield type thing. Remove the right rear wheel and hub, then take our the screws around the shield to inspect them. If you pads have been worn out for a while you may have damaged the rotor as well

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
And don't follow my instructions like the word of God, it's been a few months since I had my rear brakes apart. And I don't claim to be any kind of an expert about this

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I changed the disc pads as well about 100 miles ago. Unless they don’t fit quite right they are aftermarket pads from bike bandit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm you could have something stuck inside that rear shield back there. Or it could be an issue with the aftermarket brake pads. It's a pretty simple rear end, I'm not sure what else could be grinding when you use rear brakes on it. Other than that I've got no other suggestions

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen a few cases as a mechanic where something as simple as a small stone wedged in the right stop on disc or drum brakes makes a crazy amount of noise

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your help Kenancooper I don’t know either I’ve had it all apart several times took the diff into Yamaha dealer they thought it looked pretty good some fine aluminium flakes in diff oil they said was normal. I’ll order new pads again and try that everything works good just that occasional terrible sounding grind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're able to jack all 4 wheels of the ground you may be able to rotate the wheels manually and slow depress the foot brake pedal, see if you can hear anything you may be able to pin point it better that way. Especially since you can reach the foot pedal while you sit by the right rear wheel which is the braking wheel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent idea! I’ll give that a try tomorrow. I was lake trout fishing today so didn’t look at it. I saw a post on here from 2015 someone had the same issue but didn’t get any feedback

·
Registered
21 Posts
They're very simple machines, I'm sure you'll find something soon. There's definitely something to be said for simplicity in a work machine like that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put it up and got it to make noise. Coming from rear brake rotor. If I put my finger on it while it turns it quits. It isn’t slipping just vibrating. Do I need a new rotor or is something missing that’s supposed to hold it in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mean the pads support it on the back but unless I push gently on the front of the rotor it will make noise I adjusted brake according to manual

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like I said it's been a while since I had the rear brakes apart so I can't remember what the set up on the rear of mine really looks like. Does the rotor feel like it has any play in it? Like it's loose at all? I'm really just guessing from here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you add a Video of this happening I might be able to give some more insight but I honestly just don't remember how it all fits together. It's good you're getting somewhere though

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes thanks for all your help! The rotor has some play not a lot but probably just enough to allow it to chatter. I ordered a used one for 25 bucks to see if it will cure it. I’ll let you know how it turns out supposed to be here in a week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The brake calliper is all that holds it in place. Just slides into the splines there is no collar or anything between the rotor and wheel hub. It’s fitting fairly loose on the splines so side away from the caliber wanders out and chatters

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
These things wear out, maybe the hub got loose and developed wear.
Maybe a shim behind the rotor will take up the slack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes there isn’t much slack but maybe it doesn’t take much. A shim would have to go on outer edge to hold rotor in. There is a 1 3/8“ gap between rotor edge and hub and I just can’t think of how to shim it. There isn’t a collar or anything

1 - 20 of 22 Posts