Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in the process of swapping my stockers for some titan 589 tires I got from my brother in law. I’m trying them out on his rims to make sure I like them before I put them on my rims. Anyway, I found out that the splines that keep the wheel stud from spinning have stripped on one of the rear studs. And it’s on the side with the brakes, so I can’t get to the back of the stud to hold it with pliers. Any suggestions on how to keep it from spinning so I can get the wheel off and put a new stud in?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
You could try a strong impact gun with a deep well socket while leaning the socket side to side while hitting and letting off the trigger hopefully the stud splines will bite.

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
Cut off grinder.

Always use a torque wrench and never use an impact when INSTALLING the lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
IMO:

Cut off wheel.

You risk enlarging the hole that the stud presses into any other way. Then you will have the problem again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I’ll give these a shot when I get to work on it Friday. I’m not the one that tightened it last, that would be the shop I took it too for brakes and bearings. They also broke off a skid plate bolt and just left it, the carb started leaking fuel after they “rebuilt” it, and then they charged me double the quoted price when I picked it up. Hopefully this is the last surprise I find from them.

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
Thanks guys, I’ll give these a shot when I get to work on it Friday. I’m not the one that tightened it last, that would be the shop I took it too for brakes and bearings. They also broke off a skid plate bolt and just left it, the carb started leaking fuel after they “rebuilt” it, and then they charged me double the quoted price when I picked it up. Hopefully this is the last surprise I find from them.
That explains a lot. Some Meathead with a big A$$ impacted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got this taken care of. First ground a slot in the front and tried to use a screw driver to hold it. That didn’t work so I ended up taking the entire hub off, grinding an X in the back of the stud, drilling the center out, and chiseling the shoulder pieces off one at a time. After that I was able to drive it through with a hammer and screwdriver. The good news is I was able to save the hub so it was a $5 fix. Just way more effort than it needed to be. Got the 589’s on, anxious to ride next Friday and try them out.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts