Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took out my newly bought 05 Big Bear out on the trails. All was well except every now and then I would be reversing, let off the throttle, and it would still go. Almost as if I was still pushing down the throttle. Usually it stops after a couple of seconds, but I am stumped as to what might be causing this. It happens in other gears too, but is more common when I am backing up. The second thing was, the electric start did go out a couple times, and I had to use the hand starter. It was raining and I was driving through a lot of water so I am guessing some electrical connection got wet. Would applying dielectric grease solve this problem? Thanks for all your help in advance!!:peace:

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Check all electrical connections for tight and secure. Might be a good idea to remove and clean them if they look rusty or dirty.
Turn your handle bars left and right full lock. See if the engine rpm rises. Many times the throttle cable routing is the culprit for seamingly sticky throttle. I have had to re-route my throttle cable on my Grizzly 660 to cure this same problem.

Reactions: Big_Bear400

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check all electrical connections for tight and secure. Might be a good idea to remove and clean them if they look rusty or dirty.
Turn your handle bars left and right full lock. See if the engine rpm rises. Many times the throttle cable routing is the culprit for seamingly sticky throttle. I have had to re-route my throttle cable on my Grizzly 660 to cure this same problem.
Dezz,
First off thanks so much for your quick reply and help. You've helped me so much on this Big Bear. I found out it was the throttle, when I turned it all the way to the right the rpm would go up. I know this is a stupid question, but which one is the throttle cable? And is it just rubbing up against something which causes it to do that. Do I just need to reroute it so it doesn't touch? Finally, is dielectric grease ok for putting in my connections? I appreciate the help so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
one last stupid question: I have currently have 25/8/12 tires on the front and 25/10/12 on the back, and I want to upgrade them to 26" swamplites. However, the swamps only come in 26/9/12 for the front. Will they still fit on my rims even though they are wider? Also if I did that would 26/12/12 fit on the back. Even if this is possible is it a good idea, and will it cause a lot of mud to sling since they are wider?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
The throttle cable is the top cable. The other two are not cables at all. One is the electrical wiring for the 4wd switch, and the other is the brake hose.
You MAY need to remove the front fenders to gain enough access to the cable to re-route it. I was able to move mine around without it. You pretty much have to get it as free to move around as you can. The fitment just underneath the handlebars is the most likely culprit area. Usually is anyway.

Those Swamplites will fit no problem on your Big Bear. They are a more aggressive tire, so they will throw up more debris and mud than your currently used to, but the trade off of better traction and capability is well worth it. It will be minimal extra throwing anyway.

Reactions: Big_Bear400
1 - 6 of 6 Posts