Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EFI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2009 Grizzly 700 back in April. Seller told me that it had a big bore kit installed but I can't remember what size. Last weekend, had an issue where it would blow coolant out of the overflow anytime I got on it hard and when I checked the coolant, I could see oil spots floating around. Easy diagnosis, head gasket was failing. Went online to order the gasket and realized there are different size gaskets for the different big bore kits. What is the easiest way to tell what size gasket I need? I already have it tore down if there is something I can measure to find out.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I can't answer your question to what is the right gasket or how to find out, but wanted to bring up cylinder studs and head bolts stretch with torque and can be one use only, so new ones are recommended or you can have the same problem soon after.

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EFI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ridgway, for the reminder. Done this several times but it has always been on bikes that I've built from stock. We bought this one already built and I'm not sure about the size. Got the new bolts already from a previous build that didn't happen.
I measured the cylinder bore with a micrometer and came up with 105.4mm and that's pretty close to some of the kits I've been seeing, just not for sure. Looking for some validation.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Probably has something similar to this...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Just simply measure the piston using a vernier caliper or the cylinder bore. With that information you can see what big bore kit is installed and order the correct head gasket.

Reactions: Ridgway81432
1 - 6 of 6 Posts