Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you boost a atv with another atv do you boost it with the atv on or off? I had a person say you should do it with the atv off so you would not stress the alternator. Another said to leave it off to protect the ecu system. I was taught to have your vehicle running. Are the newer vehicles more prone to boosting then the older ones?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try it first with atv off. If that doesn't work, try it with it running. If the other person is gonna be cranking for a bit, leave it off. Your right, it's a minimal charge system, its not made to support a continuous cranking load. Thas the battery's job.

Reactions: gundog

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nothing wrong with jumping it off with a vehicle, as long as the vehicle is NOT running. The high amperage output of a vehicle's alternator might instantly destroy some of the electronics on an ATV or UTV as soon as you turn the key on.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
equal vehicles? i always have the jumping vehicle running before i hook up cables.

car to atv, or motorcycle, etc... aka, high amperage to low amperage... i leave the jumping vehicle shut off.

its kind of on the same level as having a battery charger with an amperage selector switch... you dont want to set the thing to 6a if you are charging a smaller battery.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idiggplants let me get this straight. When you hook up the cables you have your quad running then before you boost you turn it off? How about winching keep it running. When plowing it is on does not seem to hurt it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can't say too much about whether to leave the vehicle doing the boosting on or off, I've always done it with it on, but absolutely make sure that the key is off on the quad getting boosted when you hook up the cables. Turn the key on and start it after its all hooked up and ready.

I learned this a few months ago at work. It was a 700 grizzly in for a service and the key was left on so the battery died. I boosted it to do the service and had left the key on, and it had wreaked the meter when I hooked the cables up. $400 later it was working fine again, but it would have been easily avoided if I had a little more experience with it

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Idiggplants let me get this straight. When you hook up the cables you have your quad running then before you boost you turn it off? How about winching keep it running. When plowing it is on does not seem to hurt it.
if im boosting a quad with a quad, i keep the boosting quad running through the whole process. if im boosting a car with a car, i keep the boosting car running through the whole process... if im boosting a quad/motorcycle/etc with a car i keep the car off.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Or buy one of these. :devil:

Reactions: okbear and gundog

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
My local Costco has a good deal on a micro start batter that also allows for USB charging and has a flashlight built in. They also have Battery Tenders so you're less likely to need the micro start....

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Or buy one of these. :devil:
I do have two of these and I have used them to charge my laptop, cell phone, jump my 98 600 griz, and my neighbors chevy pick up. I may buy another one so SANTA has something to give me for Christmas. :devil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts