Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post a while back about buying a new Grizzly. Due to none of my local dealers having them and the base model only being in the ugliest grey color i have ever seen in my life i put it on the back burner.

I called up one of my local power sports dealers today (trying to buy a enduro that is also out of stock). And i asked them about their Grizzly situation and they told me they had a Blue Grizzly coming in in September. I have not seen any blue 2021 Grizzlies so either he don't know what he is talking about or Yamaha is building Blue ones now.

Has anyone here heard about Blue 2021's? Blue is not my favorite color but i would prefer it over the grey that the base model has been coming in this year.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
All recent years of blue kodiaks and grizzlys I' ve seen have been very pleasing to the eye. I would assume the 21s would be no different.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All recent years of blue kodiaks and grizzlys I' ve seen have been very pleasing to the eye. I would assume the 21s would be no different.

But are they actually being built or is my dealer wrong about a blue 2021? Has anyone heard anything? If it is blue i might go put money down on it but if it's grey i don't want it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe Grizzly plastic has not changed in quite awhile. You could maybe get a grey Grizzly and then order a blue set of fenders from another year.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The 2021 700 grizzly eps is available in blue.... In Canada
So maybe the US is getting it later in the year.
I know they will often make some colors available only 2nd half of production year.
They often do it with camo and either red or green.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2021 700 grizzly eps is available in blue.... In Canada
So maybe the US is getting it later in the year.
I know they will often make some colors available only 2nd half of production year.
They often do it with camo and either red or green.

Last years base Grizzly was green and that's what i really wanted but blue is acceptable. I already priced out buying new green plastic and swapping it but it was VERY expensive. I would be better off just buying an XTR and putting smaller trail tires and 12" wheels on it and selling the factory ones. I don't ride mud and i don't want mud tires the winch is the only thing i would want from the XTR package.

It's too bad Grizzlies are so expensive for what they are and don't even come with performance shocks. A friend of mine bought the performance version of the canned ham outlander and it came with really nice adjustable shocks and 90HP for about the same price. I'm about to drop about the same amount of money on a 700 grizz with much less HP and factory shocks.... Insane. I am a fan of Japanese reliability though you cant really put a price on it.

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 EPS
49 Posts
Bingo, your paying for reliability. Before i bought mine i asked everyone i knew who had quads what to look for. Honda and yamaha were the top choices for all. Everyone had bad experiences with canams and polaris, except 1 with a 500HO polaris from 07 i think.

My wife wanted blue, i really like the green though

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to ride with friends that had the old 500 Polaris Scramblers. They were always having problems mostly with the 4wd (electric hubs) and a lot of clutch problems. But the engines always ran great they never had engine problems. I later on found out that the 500 engine was made by a company called Fuji in Japan :LOL:

I was riding a Kawasaki at the time and I never had problems. I am currently riding a Suzuki and i have had a few problems but nothing serious. Now i want to try a Yamaha.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Last years base Grizzly was green and that's what i really wanted but blue is acceptable. I already priced out buying new green plastic and swapping it but it was VERY expensive. I would be better off just buying an XTR and putting smaller trail tires and 12" wheels on it and selling the factory ones. I don't ride mud and i don't want mud tires the winch is the only thing i would want from the XTR package.

It's too bad Grizzlies are so expensive for what they are and don't even come with performance shocks. A friend of mine bought the performance version of the canned ham outlander and it came with really nice adjustable shocks and 90HP for about the same price. I'm about to drop about the same amount of money on a 700 grizz with much less HP and factory shocks.... Insane. I am a fan of Japanese reliability though you cant really put a price on it.
This is the exact reason i bought a 700 kodiak. It's the same performance for much less money. Money you can use to build the kodiak into a grizzly killer.
I have less money into my kodiak SE, and it's faster than a grizzly, more ground clearance and more stability. This consists of machined shraves, better tires, spacers and a lift kit.
Only thing the grizzly has that in missing out on.... That sealed fender storage.... That i could retrofit if i really wanted to. Lol

I've been really happy with my bike, the grizz didn't really suit me when I went to purchase, sitting on both, the kodia was a better fit, with the bonus lower price tag to boot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the exact reason i bought a 700 kodiak. It's the same performance for much less money. Money you can use to build the kodiak into a grizzly killer.
I have less money into my kodiak SE, and it's faster than a grizzly, more ground clearance and more stability. This consists of machined shraves, better tires, spacers and a lift kit.
Only thing the grizzly has that in missing out on.... That sealed fender storage.... That i could retrofit if i really wanted to. Lol

I've been really happy with my bike, the grizz didn't really suit me when I went to purchase, sitting on both, the kodia was a better fit, with the bonus lower price tag to boot.

How can you make a Kodiak more stable than a Grizzly when the Grizzly is wider?

How do you make the Kodiak faster, a clutch kit?

Some of the reasons i wanted a Grizzly is because i want a wider more stable ATV and i like the rear brake on the Grizzly (not wet)

Mine will be set up for trail riding with lots of hills and off cambers. I will be setting the suspension to it's softest position and ground clearance is nice but my stock Suzuki on 25's don't have ground clearance problems with a solid rear axle. The only thing i hate about my Suzuki is the swing arm rear suspension is very tippy. I just want a reliable quad that will soak up rough heavily rutted mostly dry terrain. I also want to keep it low for steep hill climbs so no lifts or tires larger than 25-26". Traction is not a problem rolling and flipping it is.

·
Registered
984 Posts
How can you make a Kodiak more stable than a Grizzly when the Grizzly is wider?

How do you make the Kodiak faster, a clutch kit?

Some of the reasons i wanted a Grizzly is because i want a wider more stable ATV and i like the rear brake on the Grizzly (not wet)

Mine will be set up for trail riding with lots of hills and off cambers. I will be setting the suspension to it's softest position and ground clearance is nice but my stock Suzuki on 25's don't have ground clearance problems with a solid rear axle. The only thing i hate about my Suzuki is the swing arm rear suspension is very tippy. I just want a reliable quad that will soak up rough heavily rutted mostly dry terrain. I also want to keep it low for steep hill climbs so no lifts or tires larger than 25-26". Traction is not a problem rolling and flipping it is.
Wheel spacers or rims will widen your stance, right now my kodiak sits a full 1" wider stance than a grizzly. Both bikes are exactly the same top speed stock but the grizz comes off the line faster just due to its roller weights being lighter age ramping the rpm up faster. The rest of the cvt is identical. I have a machined sheave which added a bit of top speed along with lots of low end torque, and running weights that are lighter than the grizzly weights actually help the kodiak off the line faster than the grizz.
Now sure, you can do all the same to the grizzly, but you end up at the same speeds, torque and performance as the modded kodiak with the addition of a higher price tag.

As for the rear brake, that's one of the biggest factors that swayed my to the kodiak, i wanted that wet brake. Yes a disk will lock up more solid... Until it gets in water or mud, then it's stopping power is vastly reduced. The wet brake always works and is practically a lifetime part, rarely ever needing replacement unless wrong oil is used or not changed on a basic schedule.

If you want lower cog, then you should be looking at a kodiak not a grizzly, with its slightly lower stance, and lower seat. But i can tell you from years of experience on atvs and 3 wheelers, you are not found to see enough change in your cog to feel it on the trail from larger tires or a couple inches differance in height at seat position.
You'll also want to rethink the idea of setting your shock preload to its softest, you'll be in for a really crappy ride as it doesn't change the absorb and rebound rate of the shock. It also makes it easier to lift the front tires off the ground. The first thing most guys do to make wheelies esier is drop shock preload. Fronts lifting easier is the last thing you want for trail riding up steep hills.
My bike is set up for trail riding, i don't do mud other than a bit of needed to continue on my ride, i just don't go looking for it just to get stuck and winch out. I enjoy my time cruising the trails, taking in nature and my bike dors it very well as setup, and if i want to pin that throttle add have some fun, it will do it with ease.

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
@CanadianKodiak700.... I chose Kodis for similar reasons. Mostly because I want the narrower width and shorter height for tight trails. It is unclear to me what people are looking for in "more stability". In my opinion really good tires add plenty of stability.

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 EPS
49 Posts
I might be wrong here, but i seem to recall the kodiak being geared lower then the grizzly and it had a slightly tighter turn radius when i was looking at the 2. The difference between the 700 kodiak and grizzly here was less then $1k.

Besides tires and building boxes for my racks, i havent had to modify or upgrade anything. If it cost me a little more for convenience, so be it. Just my 2 pennies 🙃

·
Registered
984 Posts
@CanadianKodiak700.... I chose Kodis for similar reasons. Mostly because I want the narrower width and shorter height for tight trails. It is unclear to me what people are looking for in "more stability". In my opinion really good tires add plenty of stability.
Exactly, i added the 1.5" spacers, making it 3" wider stance, and to be totally honest, on very off camber trails, the litterly no difference, save on high speed turns. I'm actually going to temove the spacers this week because it restricts me from going through a couple gates that lead to one of my trail heads.
You can lean as hard as you want on these bikes, your horizontal cog only changes a couple inches side to side... That's minimal in relation to your vertical cog while on the bike.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I might be wrong here, but i seem to recall the kodiak being geared lower then the grizzly and it had a slightly tighter turn radius when i was looking at the 2. The difference between the 700 kodiak and grizzly here was less then $1k.

Besides tires and building boxes for my racks, i havent had to modify or upgrade anything. If it cost me a little more for convenience, so be it. Just my 2 pennies
They are geared exactly the same, the torque curve is different due to the weight difference of the roller weights. The heavy weights require more rpm to move them out, therefore giving a bit more low end torque.
The turning radius is larger on the grizzly only due to it haveing larger stock tires and a wider track width. when you use the same size on both and widen the kodiak to match, the turning radius is the same

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 EPS
49 Posts
They are geared exactly the same, the torque curve is different due to the weight difference of the roller weights. The heavy weights require more rpm to move them out, therefore giving a bit more low end torque.
The turning radius is larger on the grizzly only due to it haveing larger stock tires and a wider track width. when you use the same size on both and widen the kodiak to match, the turning radius is the same

Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate wheel spacers i have never ran them on jeeps toyotas or anything else. I have friends that have ran them on jeeps and loosened and I'm not going to babysit them. Sure on an ATV they are less likely to come loose but i still don't want the possibility of it happening.

Not to mention the extra leverage they put on the wheel bearings and i ride in sandy creeks so wheel bearings don't last that long for me anyways. I change my wheel bearing about every 2 years with cheap ebay bearing kits. Spending the extra money on OEM bearings is not worth the price because they only last about 3 years when i buy the ATV brand new.

Not bashing people who run wheel spacers I'm just not going to do it.

As far as stability and tight trails... The trails i run are tight some of them are more for dirt bikes than ATV's. My Suzuki Vinson is kinda narrow and has a pretty good turning radius. A friend of mine i ride frequently with has a 1000cc CannedHam Outlander and it is wide and much more stable than my Vinson. A lot of that has to do with the CannedHam having independent rear suspension and not a swing arm. But the CannedHam even though it is bigger than my Vinson don't seem to big on the trails we run so i know a Grizzly would fit.

The main issue with the my Vinson is how tippy it is on off-cambers because when the rear axle articulates so does the rest of the ATV. I love Can Am trailing arm rear suspension it's a much better design than A-arm design everyone else uses. But i personally would not own anything but a Japanese brand for reliability reasons. It would be nice if Japanese brands did go to a trailing arm rear suspension in the future though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wheel spacers stand no more of a chance coming off than a rim iysself when installed correctly. It must be bolted on with nuts torqued to spec, and then retorqued after 50km the same as a wheel. Most never do it right and will have issues.
As for the extra stress, it's no more stress than a wider rim would cause. Unless your going 2" wide or more, then yes, but a 1" to 1.5" wide spaceer is exactly the same as an offset rim like most aftermarket rims you buy.

You do realize that a bike feels age is much tippier on off camber with irs than it is with sra. The sra has a lower cig keeping it more stable. I noticed this alot when i first got my kodial, coming from an old sra honda foreman.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Grizzly 700 XTR plus coffee holder
35 Posts
So funny this thread was started because I was watching some Youtube and up came a 21 Blue Grizzly. My first thought was there is no blue Grizzly for 21. Turns out there is and what a nice looking color on a Grizzly.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So funny this thread was started because I was watching some Youtube and up came a 21 Blue Grizzly. My first thought was there is no blue Grizzly for 21. Turns out there is and what a nice looking color on a Grizzly.
Oh there is, a beautiful blue. My favorite bike color right after black.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts