Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2014 grizzly 700 with 30 inch silverbacks and 2 inch bracket lift, run sixity axels, big bore kit and tuner. I keep breaking axles non stop, I am pretty hard on it but they break alot. I heard the spacers wont break your axles as much, what yall think? I dont want to spend the money on gorilla axles.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
I have no experience here as I don't care to mud bog, but your situation sounds like the typical pay-to-play scenario. I'm not intending this to come off sounding rude, but you are trying to run very large, heavy tires in mud (assumption) where stuff is going to break. I really do not believe spacers are going to solve your problem. Even if you did go with the stronger and more expensive Gorilla axles, you will then most likely be looking at something else that is going to give and probably end up being even more expensive to fix. Again, back to the phrase, pay-to-play.

Reactions: TiccyTac

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
Wouldn’t the gorilla axels be cheaper in the long run if they last? How many sixity axes do you have to go thru before you have spent the same amount as the gorilla? And as Redrocket said maybe something else will break. As far as spacers go....not sure why they would help, but if your research is showing they do then why not?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Don't understand how spacers would help....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your silverbacks weigh 45 lbs each, my 275/70-18 (32.5 inch tall) LT e rated truck tires are 52 lbs each . That’s a lot of tire for your quad, now if you had gear reduction portals like the Polaris and can am’s guys use you’d probably be fine. As far as I know portals are not available for grizzly’s . My question is what have you read that states spacers will help axles not break ? I’m curios to know.

Reactions: TiccyTac

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
I got a 2014 grizzly 700 with 30 inch silverbacks and 2 inch bracket lift, run sixity axels, big bore kit and tuner. I keep breaking axles non stop, I am pretty hard on it but they break alot. I heard the spacers wont break your axles as much, what yall think? I dont want to spend the money on gorilla axles.
Welcome from Colorado.
We may have a one post and done here, but the thread will last for others years from now so.....
The Griz 700's to date have limitations through engineering so be careful.
Yes you can go bigger bore and even stoke a Grizzly for more power but remember to keep the entire drive system in mind, like the O.P. here seems to have forgot.
Yamaha engineered the Griz for years with moderately inexpensive parts as failure points to protect more expensive internal parts, which are also very hard to get to.
The secondary spring is the first part/area we mod to transmit more power to the transmission. If we go big bore or shims/machined sheave or other c.v.t. mods the belt can slip so a stronger secondary spring is added to stop the belt slip. Yes a stronger spring changes other aspects of the c.v.t., but that is not the point to be made here.
Once we get the belt tight enough to twist the secondary pulley harder, the energy goes through the transmission to the drive shafts then final drive at the least, and maybe through the front diff if engaged. These are strong parts which transfer power to the axle shafts, and as the O.P.er here is finding, the axle start to break all the time as the next weak link in the Yamaha drive system.
Over the years many members here have added stronger axles, like the gorilla brand, and eventually had enough axle strength that a purple secondary spring was not enough and the belt slipped again.
Then the solution was to added yet a heavier spring until BAAAAM!, the transmission broke.
Talk about pay to play, we have had many members experience this chain of events, so be careful.
Some members try different brands with bigger engine displacement, some members stay away and some come back to the Griz...and some know to tame down their riding style and accept the Griz limits.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The OP is asking if he should ditch his bracket lift and run spacers instead to have enough clearance for his tires. In that case, ditch the lift.

The Sixity axles are also a weak link. Especially at an increased angle. I broke several with a Arctic Cat 500 with 26” mudlites. If you aren’t ready to upgrade to Gorillas, OEMs are tougher than sixity and can usually be found used for about the same price. SuperAtv Rhino’s are better than OEM and cheaper than Gorillas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts