Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive owned and rebuilt a few 400ex's and KTM 125's all used in harescrambles. This is going to be my first utility quad besides a 250 suzuki 2wd.

I have always been told to break motors in hard during the first 20 miles to seat the rings and they will last longer. My ktm i broke it in as book said and motor made it about 20 hours and second time I rebuilt it I made 120 hours and hard hard riding before I tore it down. I know the 400ex's are bullet proof but I rode the ever loving snot out of it after i put the hot cam and 440 big bore kit in it. Once it was warm it was wide open for me.
Never had a single issue!

I am wondering if anyone is doing the same? 200 Easy miles seems very very conservative to me? Maybe its the wet clutch vs manual?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't believe in beating the shit out of something before it's broke in. At least a couple hours on it. It was tough babying it till it the hours on it, both motor and the belt. REAL tough after I got the 'gade.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe in beating the shit out of something before it's broke in. At least a couple hours on it. It was tough babying it till it the hours on it, both motor and the belt. REAL tough after I got the 'gade.....
I am not saying to beat the living hell out of it.. but get it warm and go out and do hard pulls 90% throttle and run it back and forth across field a few times, let cool repeat and ride normal

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I firmly belive in heat cycles .. not a fan of pussy footing it along for break in. Use it as you intend to from day 1 but, heat cycle it. The first few times you ride get it up to operating temp any way you please then kill it and let it cool right down. Do this a few times change the oil and give her hell

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a germ belive in heat cycles .. not a fan of pussy footing it along for break in. Use it as you intend to from day 1 but, heat cycle it. The first few times you ride get it up to operating temp any way you please then kill it and let it cool right down. Do this a few times change the oil and give her hell
agree!

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is how I broke my Grizz in and it runs and starts like a champ. I broke it in on the road, I let it warm up and road it for an hour and that came out to be 20 miles. started at around 25 to 30 mph. hard on and off the throttle for about 15 min. intervals, then up to 30 to 45 and repeated then 40 to 55 and repeated, and the last 15 min. of the hour was 55 to top end which was just short of 70 mph. hard on and off throttle. I then changed the oil and have just road it in no special way since then. Just remember if something would happen to it under warranty :deal: and the dealer seen you had it up to 70 mph under the first 20 miles on there diagnostic thingy, you may be up the proverbial $hit creek.:icon_ cry:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how I broke my Grizz in and it runs and starts like a champ. I broke it in on the road, I let it warm up and road it for an hour and that came out to be 20 miles. started at around 25 to 30 mph. hard on and off the throttle for about 15 min. intervals, then up to 30 to 45 and repeated then 40 to 55 and repeated, and the last 15 min. of the hour was 55 to top end which was just short of 70 mph. hard on and off throttle. I then changed the oil and have just road it in no special way since then. Just remember if something would happen to it under warranty :deal: and the dealer seen you had it up to 70 mph under the first 20 miles on there diagnostic thingy, you may be up the proverbial $hit creek.:icon_ cry:

Can they do that lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
No matter how you brake it in, the most important thing is to KEEP THE OIL CHANGED! and do your preventive maintenance and it will run a long long time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No matter how you brake it in, the most important thing is to KEEP THE OIL CHANGED! and it will run a long long time.
Yeah, thats for sure clean oil is good oil! even after sitting all winter before spring change it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I basically did what other did. Even tho it is under warranty, if you didn't follow break in procedure they could void warranty. Main thing keep clean oil in it.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I just get on and go trail riding.. Nothing hard or hot. Just the stop and go of a 30-40 mile ride.

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
I use the 10 mile rule while riding, and it works for the break-in too.
Also, not following the suggested break-in procedure can not void the warranty. It been tested in court many years ago.
If there is a failure from external influence, say a crash or something similar, that is a different story.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I put Mobile One in a new car once. I swear that the rings did not seal until about 40,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I have owned many new vehicles. My conclusion is to use factory oil and follow the owners manual time schedule exactly . . . . . until I am convinced that the engine is broken in.

With this approach, you should never have any warranty problems (oil related).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have owned many new vehicles. My conclusion is to use factory oil and follow the owners manual time schedule exactly . . . . . until I am convinced that the engine is broken in.

With this approach, you should never have any warranty problems (oil related).

I for sure wouldn't use synthetic oil till 200 hours. But in not going to ride it easy for the first 200 using quarter throttle for 10 miles than half for x and 3/4 to for x miles.. If something is going to break it's going to show its ugly face quickly. Keep quad clean and oil clean for the break in just in case shit does break is how I'm going to do it lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts