Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 SE Silver
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I found this place. I just bought a new Grizzly 700 and have never broken in an ATV before. I have 20 miles as of now keeping it under 35mph and not much stress on the engine. Is it okay to do some two up while breaking the engine in? I have ridden motorcycles all of my life and had one used ATV and I know the dangers of riding two up. Just to save the two up danger speeches! 馃榿

Registered
Do what you please, just try to vari the rpms, and no wide open throttle for the first few 100 miles

Reactions: MountainHiker

Premium Member
I agree with Vincent, but I would throw in a couple of heat cycles too. Get her good and hot then shut it down for awhile and let her cool and then continue. I would do this several times. My opinion.

Reactions: MountainHiker

Registered
2017 Grizzly
Varying the speed is pretty universal for break in, the Grizzly will do that easy with a rider. I found the hardest part of was not wanting to crank it up on a dirt trail, took all the discipline I had :)

Premium Member
2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
I thought 20 hours was the typical break-in period

Registered
I thought 20 hours was the typical break-in period
Manual states 20 hours, or 200 miles(320km) whichever comes first.
No more tham 3/4 throttle, varying the RPM, and make sure it gets up to operating temp.
Operating temp is when the fan kicks on.

I did the first 50km at mostly 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, with a few good 3/4 bursts for 20 or 30 sec. Gradually have her more each time i went out until i hit 280km. At about 280km, i was coming back from the store with a full tank of gas and i opened it up on the main street through town, full throttle burst until it hit 107kph, then i let off and drove about 1/2 throttle the rest of the way home.
I got it up to operating temp every time in that first 320km, no short trips, made sure it got good heat cycles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts