Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a bruin 350. Need help.battery is good.key on,neutral light is on.press starter button,nothing.oil/temp light does come on when I press button..nothing happens when I press brakes either.no click from solenoid .can jump across terminal and starter engages..on the starter button the blue wire has voltage,black has a ground.when depressed the blue looses 12v at the switch and relay.IS that how the switch works? Or is there a wiring problem? Also why .o clicking from the solenoid? Is it bad?.
Also,when I jump it and it turns over,it looses spark.it only gets spark at the plug if I bump it over,but if u keep cranking it won't put out spark.also the battery is draining with the ATV off..I believe the CDI has been replaced already,could the regulator be bad.if I unplug the connector from the stator,it don't charge,but doesn't kill battery .

·
Registered
285 Posts
im guessing sticky neutral start switch.

·
Registered
863 Posts
disconnect the small wire going to the starter selenoid, probe it with a test light / multimeter in DC 20 volt position and then press the start button.
does the small wire give you battery voltage when you do that ?
if yes, selenoid toast, if no, wiring problem or button broken inside i'd guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
disconnect the small wire going to the starter selenoid, probe it with a test light / multimeter in DC 20 volt position and then press the start button.
does the small wire give you battery voltage when you do that ?
if yes, selenoid toast, if no, wiring problem or button broken inside i'd guess.
I disassembled the switch.when I mash he start button it grounds ou and at the same time the same wire grounds out on the relay.the switi is just a wire and a spring.the kill switch has 12 volts thru it in the on position.I can jump the relay and start it.
Also wondering what the specs are on the stator and regulator.I get voltage from two of the wires from the stator.am I supposed to have voltage from all three?.going to order a new reg.and stator and relay,but want to be sure stator is bad first.when it idle,it dies when it's plugged in.I can rev engine and plug the 3 wire round plug together and it'll put 13.x volts to battery,but dies at idle.

·
Registered
863 Posts
the stator plug (round with 3 wires) has AC coming out of it, not DC.
so put your multi-meter on 2 of the wires on AC voltage, you should see more than 10 volts AC when cranking/running.
repeat that but switch wires, until you've tested 3 times.
between wires (1 and 2), (2 and 3), (1 and 3)
each time you must have more than 10 volts AC when cranking/running, if you have that then don't replace your stator, it is GOOD.

seeing how you get 13.x volts on the battery points to a good stator and regulator, so again, don't replace that stator.

check upwards of that on the circuit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get voltage at three areas there.I can disconnect the regulator and it'll run,but not charge.when i plug it in,it dies.gonna get a new one.as far as the starter solenoid,with the key on,the three small wires have voltage.when I hit the starter button,the solid blue looses voltage,as it does at the switch also.not sure if that's how the relay is activated,by a break in current when I push the starter switch?

·
Registered
863 Posts
i am sorry that i lead you into wrong territory here, i checked a wiring diagram and seems like the starter button gives ground to the starter selenoid, not positive voltage.

so yeah, when you push the starter button, you should have ground flowing to the starter selenoid, engaging it. (blue and black line possibly)

the other small wire will have positive voltage coming out of the CDI unit (blue and white line possibly)

can you recap what is working and what isn't ??
because you went from a starter button problem to a stator problem, now what is up with that ?
seems like that now the quad starts with the button and charge the battery but won't idle ? that would be a carburetor problem, not electrical..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry..the switch is sending a ground signal to the relay.the relay isn't clicking or engaging the starter.I can jump the starter wire and crank the atv up.the switch won't..I assume the relay is bad?
The stator is a seperate issue,I believe to be the regulator..

·
Registered
863 Posts
ok so yes, if ground goes to the selenoid via the small wire, then the relay is bad if it doesn't engage.
the relay needs positive voltage from the big red wire from the battery and the ground from the small wire to make contact, if you have that then the relay is bad.
you might want to clean all connections of rust before making the call to thrash the relay, because sometimes a little rust on the terminal can be a BIG gap to jump for the electricity !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so yes, if ground goes to the selenoid via the small wire, then the relay is bad if it doesn't engage.
the relay needs positive voltage from the big red wire from the battery and the ground from the small wire to make contact, if you have that then the relay is bad.
you might want to clean all connections of rust before making the call to thrash the relay, because sometimes a little rust on the terminal can be a BIG gap to jump for the electricity !
Ill try that.I'm not getting any clicking or anything.
How do I test the voltage regulator/ rectifyer?

·
Registered
863 Posts
for the stator, you tried the AC voltage across the 3 wires 3 times and you got voltage, so it should be good.

for the regulator, if you have more than 12.7 volts at the battery when the motor is running and the headlights on, the regulator is good too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok.but at an idle ,I plug the regulator in and it kills the engine like maybe it has a short?. It'll idle fine with it unplugged.I have to rev the engine and plug it it for it to charge.if I remember right,it was draining the battery overnight if it was left plugged in.

·
Registered
863 Posts
ok, so you have everything in place, it wont idle, but if you unplug the regulator's 5 wire plug it idles fine ?

doing that also disconnect the stator from the circuit, so the problem could be from either of the two...

connect everything as it should be, then do this:
using a suitable digital multi-meter(DMM) on "10A" setting (ampere, current flow), disconnect your battery ground, run 1 wire of the DMM to the battery ground and the other to your ground wire, so that you complete the circuit by going through the DMM.

You should see a very very small drain, anything over 0,05 amps of current will tell you that you have a shorted wire or bad electrical component somewhere.
If you don't have a drain higher than 0,05 amps then most likely your battery is just dead and going empty by itself overnight.

If the current drain is high, begin to unplug the fuses one by one until you find the circuit that drains that much current, then you can better pin-point what is your electrical problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It'll run with the 5 wire plug hooked up,it'll die when I plug the round 3 wire plug together.does same thing with a new regulator.
The new solenoid is working though!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts