Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
ok so there's something going on with the stator for sure if you plug it and the quad dies.

the only thing i can think of is maybe the stator's coil is grounded (should not be)
you can check that by doing the following:
unplug the 3-wire round plug from the stator, take your digital multi-meter (DMM) in Ohms mode (if you have more than one ohm scale, use the smallest available ohm scale)
measure for continuity between any and all 3-wires and the motor/ground.
if any of these stator wires gives you some ground continuity, then you'll know that you have a problem there.
the DMM reading should stay "open" or infinite resistance for a good stator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I set the meter to ohms and checked all 3 wires with pos+ and had the neg to a ground.is that correct? It read 1.3ish at all three wires.the same reading if I touch the two meter leads together. It's an older fluke meter

·
Registered
863 Posts
ok so you've got ground on all 3 wires from the stator.
well, that is weird...
let me check some things out in the manual i'll be back to you !

EDIT: Ok so i've found this :

This next check is probably the simplest/quickest way of determining a stator problem - in majority of cases a bad stator will be indicated by failing following test:
Check resistance from any one pin to the engine ground terminal – this should not read any indication – maximum resistance or open-circuit.
If you read ‘short’ in that last test, then your stator is bad.
So yeah, if you got ground continuity in any of the 3 wires coming from the stator, your stator is to be replaced i'm afraid !

·
Registered
863 Posts

Reactions: pink63impala

·
Registered
3 Posts
heres how you can fix it

Working on a bruin 350. Need help.battery is good.key on,neutral light is on.press starter button,nothing.oil/temp light does come on when I press button..nothing happens when I press brakes either.no click from solenoid .can jump across terminal and starter engages..on the starter button the blue wire has voltage,black has a ground.when depressed the blue looses 12v at the switch and relay.IS that how the switch works? Or is there a wiring problem? Also why .o clicking from the solenoid? Is it bad?.
Also,when I jump it and it turns over,it looses spark.it only gets spark at the plug if I bump it over,but if u keep cranking it won't put out spark.also the battery is draining with the ATV off..I believe the CDI has been replaced already,could the regulator be bad.if I unplug the connector from the stator,it don't charge,but doesn't kill battery .
well I had the same issue and no one has a valid fix. well here it is. cut your blue and white wire going to your relay ,that's comming from your brain box and tape it up , it will not be used again.take your red wire and put it in the top left hand corner post.use insulated female spade connector in place of factory (unless you can get the old connectors out)run a wire or two from positive side of battery with inline fuses.put one on top right hand corner of relay and onother on bottom right hand of relay.
You should have only the blue black wire remaning (the start switch wire)You put this in the bottom left hand post with insulated connector.then you should be ready to rock and roll.I at first had it trying to start by itself because the blue and black wire was grounding out underneath the gas tank . I must have done something to the brainbox so instead I did this and has been working fine for five years or so.Just thank me and check the youtube video with title YAMAHA BRUIN,GRIZZLY AND RAPTOR STARTER RELAY FIX.:getrdone:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get voltage at three areas there.I can disconnect the regulator and it'll run,but not charge.when i plug it in,it dies.gonna get a new one.as far as the starter solenoid,with the key on,the three small wires have voltage.when I hit the starter button,the solid blue looses voltage,as it does at the switch also.not sure if that's how the relay is activated,by a break in current when I push the starter switch?
I've been reading quite a bit of these posts on your electrical issue, Get on youtube and find Partzilla. John Talley explains every issue and shows you how to troubleshoot the system on a no start situation. If you can jump the solenoid and it starts and you get no clicking sound on the relay then the relay is bad. If your not charging then its the stator. I had brought all my stuff into the house and followed step by step in figuring out what was bad on this 2004 bruin. It still has issues though, but it's running. Now it's got smoke coming back into the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im guessing sticky neutral start switch.
It'll run with the 5 wire plug hooked up,it'll die when I plug the round 3 wire plug together.does same thing with a new regulator.
The new solenoid is working though!
I have an 05 bruin 350 4x4 and it will start In forward, neutral, or reverse, however the kill switch is extremely sensitive, if it is bumped just a bit towards the off position, the quad will not turn over or do anything. I'd check the relays under the seat and the wiring through the entire starter process (switch, kill switch, relay, starter etc)

·
Premium Member
11,890 Posts
I would clean the switch.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts