Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2015 Grizzly 700 to replace my 04 Honda 350 Rancher 4x4.

The wife has a Rancher too, but she likes the 2015 700 Grizzly so much that I may let her take it over and buy a new 2021 700 XTR (I'd have to put a deposit on one and wait since there arent any on hand...thanks Covid).

Question is, do we all think Yamaha will release a new 850 Grizzly next year??!!!

I know they have a twin 850 already in one of their side by sides (2021 Wolverine X2-R) and since folks have been clamoring for a twin in the Grizz for years now...I kind of suspect its only a matter of time.

But, as we all know, Yamaha never rushes into anything quickly or haphazardly.

What is the consensus out there?

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
'A Bird in the Hand' is hard to beat......

Reactions: Vincenthdfan

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Indeed...and they are well proven to be bullet proof.
That and I've ridden against other brand twins and they aren't that much quicker. I bet Yamaha stands pat, and if they did do the twin do you want to be first in line?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That and I've ridden against other brand twins and they aren't that much quicker. I bet Yamaha stands pat, and if they did do the twin do you want to be first in line?
Well, hopefully the engine and electrical bugs will be worked out on the side by side first was my thought process on that one. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
I would be more concerned about the suspension/frame/handling aspects of the heavier machine.
I've ridden against canned hams, big popos and kings that all sit much lower and due to their weight wallow and drag much more than my Griz on rough trails.
How would you like your wife's 700 with 150#s of corn strapped to each rack? just cruising on your local trails.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,893 Posts
I would be more concerned about the suspension/frame/handling aspects of the heavier machine.
Yes. It would be nice to see a Grizzly with slightly higher hp but at the expense of it being a pig, no thanks.

@Vincenthdfan Grizzly fans have been drooling over a higher hp Grizzly for many, many years now and it hasn't happened.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Imo yamaha i had a few rides honda big red 3 wheeler 97 wolverine 10 grizzly 350 and now a 660 miss the 3 wheeler alot never left me starnded but left me with no breaks wolverine heap of crap wasnt taken care of the grizzlys never left me standed the skidoo 670 mxz and formula bith left me starnded middle of no where the polaris sled never left me stranded just was a old heap of crap but always started lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
That new vertical twin doesnt really look too portly to be honest...

View attachment 99737
have you seen it with the transmission and cvt? it's huge compared to the 700 single, have to add 8-10" min to the wheel base, 6 inches or more between your leg's and it's also taller, I have to agree, it would be a fat wallowing pig, not the nimble trail machine that makes the current 700 fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have you seen it with the transmission and cvt? it's huge compared to the 700 single, have to add 8-10" min to the wheel base, 6 inches or more between your leg's and it's also taller, I have to agree, it would be a fat wallowing pig, not the nimble trail machine that makes the current 700 fun.
Actually no, I haven't seen it...didn't even know it existed (the new vert twin 850 engine) until I was watching YouTube reviews of different Grizzlies over the years (I'm new to the Grizzly scene) and they were talking about a possible 850 Grizz coming out.

However, yours is the kinda feedback that I was looking for regarding an 850 coming out.

I think I'm going to go put a deposit on one of the two 700s the local dealer has projected in.

They have the Covert Green XT-R or the Orange EPS SE models to choose from...having not seen either one in person (other than web pics/videos) I'm trying to make up my mind which one.

I'm kind of inclined toward the Orange one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually no, I haven't seen it...didn't even know it existed (the new vert twin 850 engine) until I was watching YouTube reviews of different Grizzlies over the years (I'm new to the Grizzly scene) and they were talking about a possible 850 Grizz coming out.

However, yours is the kinda feedback that I was looking for regarding an 850 coming out.

I think I'm going to go put a deposit on one of the two 700s the local dealer has projected in.

They have the Covert Green XT-R or the Orange EPS SE models to choose from...having not seen either one in person (other than web pics/videos) I'm trying to make up my mind which one.

I'm kind of inclined toward the Orange one?
If you like Orange go for it. Personally, I don’t like the gold wheels on the XTR.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
I would take the one with 12" wheels.
And many people talk about h.p., which takes high engine r.p.m.'s when I think they want the higher, low r.p.m. torque of the twins.
I think Yamaha should take the proven 660, or 700 engine, raise the compression to 10.5:1, add 4 mm's to the stroke with a touch more lift and duration in the cam.
And while they are changing the top end geometry also make the jug slightly larger for more coolant with higher flow from the water pump and 1 hoses/plumbing to the radiator which needs to be 2"s thicker.
We have had members to the stoke and bore mods and produced a much stronger running Griz to then find the wet-clutch is too weak so Yami can increase the w.c. drum diameter 1" and the width 3/4" for the additional bite need for a 2.5:1 pulley ratio from the factory.
We have learned how to raise the ratio 25 to 30 percent to help the wet clutch live longer, so the final improvement can be a stronger middle gear for a Grizzly that can deal with the big twin competitors, without being heavier by more than a few pounds.....probably less than 5 pounds heavier, with the same nibble weight, width, length and height.
If they would do this, there is one more trick I would want....I would want the air box snorkel to take air from above the top plastic cover, not from underneath where the steam collects.
Oh, and to lose the extra weight they should get rid of that 3rd light :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would take the one with 12" wheels.
And many people talk about h.p., which takes high engine r.p.m.'s when I think they want the higher, low r.p.m. torque of the twins.
I think Yamaha should take the proven 660, or 700 engine, raise the compression to 10.5:1, add 4 mm's to the stroke with a touch more lift and duration in the cam.
And while they are changing the top end geometry also make the jug slightly larger for more coolant with higher flow from the water pump and 1 hoses/plumbing to the radiator which needs to be 2"s thicker.
We have had members to the stoke and bore mods and produced a much stronger running Griz to then find the wet-clutch is too weak so Yami can increase the w.c. drum diameter 1" and the width 3/4" for the additional bite need for a 2.5:1 pulley ratio from the factory.
We have learned how to raise the ratio 25 to 30 percent to help the wet clutch live longer, so the final improvement can be a stronger middle gear for a Grizzly that can deal with the big twin competitors, without being heavier by more than a few pounds.....probably less than 5 pounds heavier, with the same nibble weight, width, length and height.
If they would do this, there is one more trick I would want....I would want the air box snorkel to take air from above the top plastic cover, not from underneath where the steam collects.
Oh, and to lose the extra weight they should get rid of that 3rd light :)
That would make a fantastic "Sleeper" that would spank everyone else for sure!

·
Registered
95 Posts
The two-cylinder Grizzly is certainly already rolling in the mountains of northern Japan.
But Yamaha only offers mature products, so when do they think it's reliable enough to present it. . .
And I'm not worried about the qualities of the machine but rather its price :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Takes Yamaha around 4-5 years to build test and add to the product line, I have heard Reps talk of a 850 Griz that Yamaha was working on, they were having heating issues at the time during testing, remember Yamaha is a engine company it doesn't mean it will be a 850 vertical it could be a lay down twin or a bored out 700 to a 750, this maybe in part why Yamaha went back to the 686 other than proven reliability, I believe Yamaha will take small steps you more likely to see a 750 HO with 55-58 HP, a 850 would be to big of a step with Yamaha in the ATV market, Yamaha is focused on SXS which seems to be the trend right now, this is the area we are seeing engine changes.

Reactions: Bearsixty7

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That new vertical twin doesnt really look too portly to be honest...

View attachment 99737
This 850 twin engine can't be installed in the current grizzly frame as it uses a very large and bulky separate sub transmission gear box. See photo #2

3rd photo is of our current 686 with the more common and compact sub transmission incorporated into the crankcase design

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts