Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts
considering people have been begging yamaha for some sort of vtwin for years and years and years id say your likely better off just buying the xtr for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This 850 twin engine can't be installed in the current grizzly frame as it uses a very large and bulky separate sub transmission gear box. See photo #2

3rd photo is of our current 686 with the more common and compact sub transmission incorporated into the crankcase design
To be completely honest, I really hope they go to the separate trans because I’ve had to tear my engine down to fix the trans more than once. It’s so time consuming to yank the whole engine out when I can pull the trans out of my can am in like 20 mins or less and do what needs to be done... but last time I pulled the grizz engine out I did ALOT of work to it. And the only reason it came out was to fix that reverse gear. Mine is an 08 700

·
Registered
73 Posts
They have already built the first 850 grizzly and it was longer, around 15cm. do to the covid its delayed big time ... maby 2023 ... and also to remember is that the 850 has a dry sump... its going to be a reale interesting build :)

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 SE Silver
169 Posts
They have already built the first 850 grizzly and it was longer, around 15cm. do to the covid its delayed big time ... maby 2023 ... and also to remember is that the 850 has a dry sump... its going to be a reale interesting build :)
Well the way things are going they might discontinue it and put a stupid battery operated motor in it!

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
153 Posts

You have a link to a credible source that claims this? If this was actual factual info id imagine there would be MUCH more buzz about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You have a link to a credible source that claims this? If this was actual factual info id imagine there would be MUCH more buzz about it.

I work at Yamaha Store as a mechanic ... and in October we heard that there was a working prototype, but it was greatly delayed due to covid ... and no more info than that ... take it or leave it :)

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Super special edition?

Reactions: Vincenthdfan

·
Registered
639 Posts
I work at Yamaha Store as a mechanic ... and in October we heard that there was a working prototype, but it was greatly delayed due to covid ... and no more info than that ... take it or leave it :)
Lol. No offense, but that is the least credible source of info in the industry.
My god, if we believed half of what dealers/techs there have told us that they heard... We would have a 1000 grizzly, a 850 kodiak, both available in comparable electric versions.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Question is, do we all think Yamaha will release a new 850 Grizzly next year??!!!
Do you see the "Joined" date under my username?

People have been asking this exact same question (only the number changes) since well before then. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
As long as we are wishing ATV On-demand mentioned a 1000 Grizzly when they were reviewing a 2021 Rmaxx 1000. Seriously, If you want more power out of a 686 you need to look at some of the raptor forums. There is a lot of Big bores kits & cams for the 686 engine. I don't know if the stroker crankshafts will work in a Grizzly though. If so 80HP is a pretty common build in the raptors.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
As long as we are wishing ATV On-demand mentioned a 1000 Grizzly when they were reviewing a 2021 Rmaxx 1000. Seriously, If you want more power out of a 686 you need to look at some of the raptor forums. There is a lot of Big bores kits & cams for the 686 engine. I don't know if the stroker crankshafts will work in a Grizzly though. If so 80HP is a pretty common build in the raptors.
Many have done strokers out of the 686s in the past, so it's certainly is an option. Problem is the wet clutchs can't hold down the power and usually burn up shortly after.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Many have done strokers out of the 686s in the past, so it's certainly is an option. Problem is the wet clutchs can't hold down the power and usually burn up shortly after.
Even with Wet Slugs??

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Even with Wet Slugs??
Yup

Though these were 850cc bored & stroked monsters , with big cams, big valves, aggressive port work, larger throttle bodies, big exhaust systems etc....

Hence why some members started experimenting with a wet clutch delete kits to try and bypass the problem. The kit proved expensive and unreliable

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Even with Wet Slugs??
Yup :)
Not enough shoe and drum surface to hold more engine power for long, the low end torque shines light on the weakness of the wet-clutch.
That's why c.v.t mods work to magnify the torque after the power has passed through the wet-clutch.
Many have added monster power through top end mods and with a new wet-clutch and heavy spring and heavier axles they learned the transmission has an internal limit too.

Reactions: Zrt1200
21 - 39 of 39 Posts