Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and a fed up arctic shat owner. It's time for something reliable so I am buying a 2018 grizzly. Just a few questions if someone can chime in. Can anyone reccomend a set of handguards? Any reccomendations for front bumper protection? Is the se model worth the extra 1000? Or should I just get my own wheels and tires. I was thinking 26 inch swamplites but if there is something better let me know. I do mostly trail riding some mud and plow snow. Any other suggestions appreciated.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,673 Posts
Sorry...looks like I posted this in the wrong spot!
No worries, moved it.

Welcome to GC!

I actually think the wheels included on the SE's look nice and don't recall seeing anyone state they are bad wheels. I'd keep 'em. There is a current thread about hand guards and should come up within the Active Topics link, top of the page. I've not had experience with the Swamplites but there will be someone along who has.

Stick around long enough and there will be plenty of us on here wanting to spend your money on mods.

Reactions: Cyrus747

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC. Yamaha bumpers are petty sharp. Mudlite XTRs (not to be confused with regular Mudlites) are an option to consider. Congrats on the new Griz. And we will help you spend some more money!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Check out my thread, what do you recommend for handguards. As for the tires, you can't beat black diamonds for the price!

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Welcome to GC.I use the Yami brand hand guards and they have good coverage...as far as the Mudlights there are lots of better choices out there just search some tire threads on here for some good advice. I haven't had good results with them with the trails I ride...rocky , muddy , and technical.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome to GC from Maine, USA. Great choice on the Grizz. Check out the tire and wheel thread, tons of info. Keep in mind truly how much mudding you expect to do, and how deep. Real mud tires are not good at all for trail riding. Have fun!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had 26 inch swamplites on my brute force, had nearly 4000kms on them no plugs or patches. They had only worn down to 1" of tread, new is 1 1/8". They are a very tough tire, I thought they were quite good on trails, but they're not a deep mud tire. 95% of the time I was absolutely happy with them amd I would buy them again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had 26 inch swamplites on my brute force, had nearly 4000kms on them no plugs or patches. They had only worn down to 1" of tread, new is 1 1/8". They are a very tough tire, I thought they were quite good on trails, but they're not a deep mud tire. 95% of the time I was absolutely happy with them amd I would buy them again.

I have little experience with swamp lites and they are too aggressive for my style. I went with the Diamonds for the fact that they are a great snow tire and a really decent trail tire. For $10 or less you can upgrade to xtr's for an inch and a quarter tread depth. Can't beat what you get for the price, radial, 6ply, all around tire. I haven't gotten mine yet but I researched until my head spun and this is what I ended up with. Seriously, about three month of research. Swamps were in the running, but it comes down to what you want for how much.

·
Premium Member
10,707 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I guess the SE options appeal to some, but for others the money is better spent on .C.V.T. mods.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Radial tires like the XTR tend to have thinner sidewalls. I've had to plug several of them in the sides to limp home. I've seen lots of well known "good" tires get trashed, OG bighorns, XTR's, Mudlites, all sidewall damage. The swamp lites I took the left front off the bead twice, once riding for about 2 kms before realizing. Both times they came off the bead because of violent impact with stumps. Both times I bent the wheel. No damage to the tire.

Not saying that the others aren't good tires, but the swamp lites treated me good and took a mountain of abuse. They didn't work great in deeper snow or mud. As a trail tire I thought they were good, predictable and didn't grab every tree root and rock. But, like I said, 95% of the time they were great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought a 2018 Yamaha Grizzly EPS, I like the power steering, I am still breaking mine in, so I haven't added anything to speak of yet, when I get my 20 hour maintenance done I am getting a 3500 Winch with synthetic rope installed, I had one picked out when I bought my Grizzly and while doing the paperwork they sold the winch I had picked out. I previously had a 2002 Honda Foreman that I sold to my cousin. I went to the dealership with a Can-am in mine, I talked to one of the mechanics and he told me to buy Yamaha or Honda, so I settled for the Yamaha Grizzly.
Marcus40

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am new to the forum and a fed up arctic shat owner. It's time for something reliable so I am buying a 2018 grizzly. Just a few questions if someone can chime in. Can anyone reccomend a set of handguards? Any reccomendations for front bumper protection? Is the se model worth the extra 1000? Or should I just get my own wheels and tires. I was thinking 26 inch swamplites but if there is something better let me know. I do mostly trail riding some mud and plow snow. Any other suggestions appreciated.
I have a SE but I got it for the same price as a normal eps Grizzly. I wouldn't have paid extra for it though. Keep in mind that the 2019 will be coming out in about 3 months. There will be discounts on remaining 17 and 18's. As far as the swamplites go. My buddy runs them and they cake up pretty fast on the mud. Just watched a video on here that recommended slingshots.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
So after I see the sling shot. I get this is a tested tire. But you know what I learned. Every tire has about 3 carbon copies. You know what I saw when I looked up that tire? The same pattern as the STI Outback. A few slight tweaks here and there, but the same at heart. For me, a name I recognize is huge. That AMS, never heard of them. I also know STI did not steal the design. Why? Research. The Outback was developed by former ITP tire designers. Now many people are going to think I am now an STI nut. They would be right. I have my Black Diamonds and I love them. Penut butter has nothing on them. The Outbacks can be had for a good price. Really consider them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts