Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Found this site a couple weeks ago and have been studying up!! I just sold my 2002 kodiak that I bought used 11 years ago. It was extremely bullet proof and to this day still had zero issues with it.

I have always loved the looks of the grizzly, and now I finally want one. I'm not against buying used, but I know what ever I buy it will last me another 10-15 years minimum so I want to buy the right one. I am also not against buying new.

I hear the new 2016 have some issues running lean and stalling as well. A fuel tuner can do the trick, but is there more to worry about? From what I read, a lot of guys say the '14-15 were the best years so far. I found a few brand new at the dealer 2015 for sale, lowest advertised price i found was $7,999....and that's 16 hours from my house. Found some closer, but those prices are $8,900-$10,000 (for a 2015!!!)

Or I can get a new 2016 3 hours away with winch for $8,300. All the prices about with EPS.

What do you all think? Is fuel injection the only way to go? I live in north east so I will be using it in the cold weather. Some snow plowing too. I could find a cheaper carburetor grizzly like an 02 I found with 3200 miles, one owner, but still asking $4,500.

Thanks all!!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC. If the trip isn't an issue, I'd jump on that 15 if you can get them to make you a smoking deal. Get an OTD deal in writing before leaving on that road trip. You'll want FI. Much more user friendly in the cold. A 16 shouldnt be a problem as if you are buying new or used, it should have had the updates completed. Check to be sure, though. To me, the 3rd headlight on the 16+ machines is unnessary. Guys end up putting much better lighting on anyway. 14+ machines are lean and pop on decel thanks to gov't emissions standards. That's just the way it is but many members have reported success in stopping most of it with mods. Some members have reported leaking shocks on 16+ machines due to cheaper build quality. On 14 & 15 machines, some members have reported popping on the front and rear end. It's believed that the knuckles were milled too deep where the bearings are pressed in and they are shifting. Nobody has reported that to have caused problems yet. They all have their flaws and strong points. You really can't go wrong, here. It comes down to what you want and are willing to pay for it. Happy hunting and keep us updated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought my own new 2017 Grizzly SE yesterday as did my buddy. In order to find 2 new units at best pricing, we had to travel prox 100 miles in separate directions to dealers that had one and were willing to deal significantly. I posted that and more in my "new member intro post which ironically didn't made it past "first post" moderator scrutiny, i.e., never went online. Go figure...

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Welcome to GC both of you.

DirtDawg, not sure what and when your first post issue happened... I don't recall seeing anything.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Welcome to GC from Missouri!

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^ Aha - forum moderator online!

I composed then submitted my initial intro post Tuesday evening including stated plans to pick up my new 2017 Grizzly SE (my buddy too) Wednesday morning, which we did although heading a few hundred miles apart. Upon submitting that post, I got message that forum administrator would need to approve before published.

Perhaps cyberspace gremlins, since local Suddenlink wifi is dismally slow. Can you say "SuddenBlink" or "SuddenlyBlank"? Yes, such as is here in mountains of central Arizona...

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Yeah, not sure what to say other than see if you could redo your intro post, as painful as that might be to remember what was in there.

Glad to have both of you along and congrats on your new toy and hopefully @gsd802 scores a nice bike too.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Welcome 2 GC.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I love the looks of my new Grizzly. I have a 2016 700 LE.
It also corners better at higher speeds and has a lot better mid range power than my 2009 Grizzly 700 did..
I love the storage compartment on the new grizzly.. LOVE IT !!! Every machine needs more of these easy access storage places.
Love the way the new grizzly doesn't look like it has big Ape Hanger handlebars, even though it does and theyre just hidden by the pod. ha.. (biggest tease coming from Canam guys,,, "Look at those funny ape hangers the grizzly has")
Love the wheels on the new grizzlys.. Best looking yet, in my opinion.

THAT SAID... When riding in the woods I feel my older grizzly was the plusher ride and was easier to squeeze through the trails.

My 2016 runs perfect, Does not stall. has crisp response and will wheelie on command with the 1.5mm shim and Secondary spring.
The EHS controller I have makes it run cooler as well.. I has an EHS controller on the 2009 grizzly too.. I feel they are just something a dealer should sell you at time of purchase. You'll love the machine so much more with one. Cooler, crisper. Running the way it should, (if the emmions people would buzz off)

·
Site Founder
4,961 Posts
^^^ Aha - forum moderator online!

I composed then submitted my initial intro post Tuesday evening including stated plans to pick up my new 2017 Grizzly SE (my buddy too) Wednesday morning, which we did although heading a few hundred miles apart. Upon submitting that post, I got message that forum administrator would need to approve before published.

Perhaps cyberspace gremlins, since local Suddenlink wifi is dismally slow. Can you say "SuddenBlink" or "SuddenlyBlank"? Yes, such as is here in mountains of central Arizona...
We've never had anything like here since day 1 that I know of. Were you registered? What exact forum did you try posting your intro in? It should have been posted in the New Member Introductions forum.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome, from southern Arizona. Good luck with the new Grizz. Grab an owners manual, it's well worth it.
Also check-out the riding around Forest Lake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^ Thanks guys, original post (as newly registered forum member) was submitted (or so I thought) with pop-up notation that moderator must approve before published. No problem, I'll create a new one rather than further muddy (in true Grizz fashion) the OP's thread...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find an abundance of knowledge and experience here - more from the other guys than me :) But I do know you will love your new Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Welcome aboard guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the feedback and hellos!

That dealer I found 16 hours away, well they have both 2014 and 2015 grizzly 700 with EPS for sale. 2014 is now for only $5,000! And the 2015 is $7,999. The 14 and 15 are the same right? I don't think I can pass up a deal like that. They come with full Yamaha warranty even though they are left overs right?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
That 2014 is a steal. Go get it right now.
2014/2015 are the same bikes, and in my opinion, the best Grizzly 700's. It's the older models perfected, with the older models bulletproof reliability and granite like build quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts