Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Going to the local Yamaha dealership here in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on Monday to help a buddy pick out a new quad.

My question is : What has your dealerships done for you in the past , to make the deal better ? ( Aftermarket tires,winches, 2 up seats, or extended warranties?)

Knowing that there isn't stock obviously won't help the bargaining, but curious to know what people have got before.

I buy all my parts from this dealer, have purchased a motorcycle from them, and many of our riding group have all dealt with them for their machines.

My friend is new to the sport so he has asked that I come and advise him if possible. ( Happy to do so, the more machines the better!!)

So, who has had a dealer really make them happy with their purchase?

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Extended warranty. Since low demand there isnt much leverage.in the auto world the price is the price very little wiggle room

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
62 Posts
I got a 4 yr warranty thrown in. They dont need to wiggle with low stock and high demand.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Around here in Tn. you're lucky to find a new Yamaha anything. Some dealers have waiting lists for available machines. The price is the price if you want it if not there is a line behind you that does. Hopefully it's different up there and you have some leverage to bargain with them.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
386 Posts
In normal times on each I bought it was for a fixed OTD price which always included an upgraded winch and once even an helmet thrown in...nowadays that might not work. You can always ask since they know you but nowadays....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Around here in Tn. you're lucky to find a new Yamaha anything. Some dealers have waiting lists for available machines. The price is the price if you want it if not there is a line behind you that does. Hopefully it's different up there and you have some leverage to bargain with them.
Same in Michigan. As soon as it hits the floor it's gone as well. Im glad we got our 19 Kodiak before all this Covid crap and low stock on everything.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Its still normal at the local dealer here, rape and pillage with stock still on hand, anything you want if you're willing to bend over for it!
That's why I gladly drove 700 miles round trip the last time, but its nice to have the local guy with stuff to sit on and look at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I paid a $500 deposit on an Orange 2021 700 SE and still haven't got a ship date.

At this point I'd be happy just to get a ship date thrown into the purchase...Covid supply and demand has made things nuts right now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Purchasing my new 2011 the "local" dealers in my area either wouldn't quote price over the phone or when they did they wanted MSRP. One wanted to make me visit before he would tell me if the model I wanted was even in stock. Screw that!
Locally, the closest available model to what I wanted was ~$9,400 base price for a 550ci eps hunter special edition. No thanks.

Drove 200 miles one way to get what I wanted (700ci eps hunter) only one in stock for $8199 base price or $8889.94 out the door. No bull, hassles, or gimmicks is what I look for in a dealer. Was worth driving 400 miles round trip. Most of the time dealers just piss me off, this one didn't. Good Deal!

Reactions: 85Aluma

·
Registered
403 Posts
Same in Michigan. As soon as it hits the floor it's gone as well. Im glad we got our 19 Kodiak before all this Covid crap and low stock on everything.
Head across the border to Ohio. Save a TON. I always deal with a particular dealer in Toledo and they are far better when it comes to pricing, apples to apples.

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Dealers may be thieves but they aren't stupid either. I know by working for a couple many decades ago.
They are not interested in helping you buy something somewhere else, so if you call on the phone you can tell the salesman what you want and what you'll pay by making an offer to buy with a deposit to backup your words.
I did this with a debit card the salesman could give to the manager for the full price, and I was doing two bikes, one for me and one for my buddy.
If you can't threaten the dealer with cash, you are full of __ to him so be ready for business if you want the low price.
I do not support the dealer mentality, but do understand being serious or stupid questions.
Change rolls and think about someone asking you 'what's your best price' while you wonder if the one on the other end can even buy.
I took off 8% from manufacturer m.s.r.p. before any pump sticker pricing and added for the winch and rear seat box I wanted for a total. I do not pay sales tax, but if you have to then add that for out the door.
I did this to my local guy and he gave me a lot of b.s. about needing more profit, so 20 minutes later I called a Denver salesman and have that 660 today.
If you need financing do that at your local credit union, and do not get an extended warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here its MSRP + $400 shipping + $450 dealer set up fee...take it or leave it.

If you dont want it, the next person in line behind you does. :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
Cash is king, I always pay cash except for houses. I let the dealers know it too. For my 2011 Grizz I wired the cash straight from the bank to the "out of state" dealer.
If you want to retire early you want stay out of debt if you can. Freedom! Less stress.

The only extended warranty I've bought was for the dehumidifier in my basement and it paid for itself when the chinese junk failed a year later. Extended warranties are generally a rip off.

I once made a deal for a new 1991 Honda Civic Si, told them cash only, upon closing the deal they said I must finance through the bank or the price would be higher. They even had the loan officer tell me to put my cash in to CDs and finance the car. I said bullshit and almost walked until they agreed to the cash price. Worst dealership experience ever!
They had a deal with 5/3rd bank on financing and didn't want cash.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Dealers hate cash, they get part of the finance reserve for more profit.
And so what about take it or leave it and the next guy in line, if there was a line visible. I can take no for an answer and don't need a A.T.V. attorneys to make a choice. My local guy let me walk, and the Denver guy said hell yes.
Even though the times are different, people are the same so be nice and ask and be ready to do business.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cash is king, I always pay cash except for houses.
That will save folks money compared to paying over time, but many times, cash won't get you the best OTD price.

Twice now, I've bought a new vehicle where they offered $1,000 off (over and above everything else) if you financed through their finance company (Ford Credit, for what it's worth). I take the $1K right up front, then when I make the first loan payment, I pay off the entire loan. Saved an extra $1,000 over paying cash (other than the few dollars it cost to borrow the money for a couple of weeks).

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
38 Posts
That will save folks money compared to paying over time, but many times, cash won't get you the best OTD price.

Twice now, I've bought a new vehicle where they offered $1,000 off (over and above everything else) if you financed through their finance company (Ford Credit, for what it's worth). I take the $1K right up front, then when I make the first loan payment, I pay off the entire loan. Saved an extra $1,000 over paying cash (other than the few dollars it cost to borrow the money for a couple of weeks).
I'm not the one that said that ^^^ Grizz2011 did.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dealer I dealt with in London Ontario gave me a $500 in store credit because of the wait, and it was only 3 weeks if I remember rite. No other dealer in my area was offering anything so the 2 hour drive was worth it to me. Plus they are awesome to deal with and very helpful.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
386 Posts

That happened to me after agreeing to a OTD price on my Wrangler, when the salesman asked how much to finance in turn I said was prepared to pay cash then asked what's it worth to me...a much lower OTD. Paid off the loan six months later. Was pretty interesting closing.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
I go to small dealerships kens yamaha in maine now that is closed i dealt with the owner best guy ever and ran a great dealership an was a fair price for svc work .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts