Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about caming the grizzly 700 with a bigger cam shaft. I was watching the EHS video and you get like an 11hp increase. He put new dual rare valve springs to compensate for the bigger cam. He also put in a performance piston. I was thinking about doing the cam with the springs without the piston to keep it more reliable, although the piston adds horsepower to. What do you guys think about caming it. I currently have the EHS tuner and an HMF Swamp series exhaust. The stock grizzly runs about 32 to 33 hp to the wheels, I am making probably like an extra two or three and I would be like at 47 if I do the cam. EHS was at 49 with their duel exhaust, tuner, and Airbox lid with obviously the cam shaft, valve springs, and performance piston. Do you think it is worth it? Food for thought!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would put on a set of Elka Stage 3s long before thinking about a cam and piston. Of course I'm getting a little older now and I also still have a Raptor in the garage for when I want to go fast.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,112 Posts
I suppose it all comes down to what you use your Grizzly for and on what kind of terrain. Don’t get me wrong, there are times when I feel my Grizzly could use a few extra ponies but that is usually because I am at high altitude and power is down. But typically I’m riding rocky technical trail where you can only go so fast, a different, heavier ATV with 80 HP is not an advantage.

On my Grizzly, I couldn’t care less about drag racing, skeg/mud swamping, wheelies or open dirt road top speed. A high HP ATV on technical trail is not needed to be at the edge of control, the Grizzly does just fine with its nimbleness, great balance, lighter weight and nice mid-range. If you feel it needs a good amount more hp, go for it but just know your reliability is probably going to go as well. The Grizzly components were not engineered for 60hp so you’ll most likely start breaking parts along the way.

You could consider doing CVT mods for better low end torque magnification while keeping all of your reliability. No, that won’t be like adding 10-15 hp but it does make a difference.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
As mentioned above, h.p. is used at higher speeds than most trail conditions allow so if you install a new cam focus on added torque THEN manage the torque with c.v.t. mods.
I bet if you manage the stock torque produced you'll be happy and not do the cam mod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your inputs. The main reason that I want more hp is because I know that my machine is capable of pushing it and I am power hungry and young lol. I like the idea of personalizing it and working on it myself. The grizzly has good power and for what it’s worth it honestly doesn’t need more I just kinda want more lol. Although I do not want to hinder the reliability on it, that’s why if I were to do it I wouldn’t put the piston in because it’s not as solid as the stock one. I’m not liking for torque because the grizzly has plenty of that I just would like it to be capable of hitting higher speeds even tho I would very very rarely to never hit those speeds. I don’t know if my reasoning justifies the money and time it will take to get the grizzly there. As I said I greatly appreciate your opinions and thank you for responding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First of all, I have never modded a Grizzly like that.

here are some thoughts for you. Probably old hat, but just thinking through your goals. A cam changes the valve timing relative to the piston to optimize power at a certain rpm range. Typically, in automotive applications, a cam allows for better breathing above 3500 rpm, and perhaps as high as 5000, depending on the setup. It sacrifices idle, where it nearly stalls. This works on a car with a manual transmission, for a drag strip setting. They don’t run but 3500-5000 rpm the whole 1/4 mile!
On your Grizzly, you have this cool CVT that puts power to the ground at idle, at 3500 rpm, at 5000 rpm, and so on. Because you don’t have a manual tranny and clutch, you will probably suffer on almost all riding conditions other than 30mph+ and you may hate the clutch engagement. You could get a better PEAK HP number, but for good riding, a flat torque curve is best - area under the curve is more important than a peak on the curve. If you had a Raptor with a traditional tranny, you could select gears to optimize the cam. But it may be difficult on the Griz. Repeating others… CVT mods required too.

Perhaps you would benefit more from larger valves and an improved intake with your exhaust. But keep the stock cam. Interested to see if you do this though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts