Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a 700cc grizzly climb a hill? I’ve got a couple hills on my trails. One isn’t super steep and the other is a shorter hill but a good bit steeper. Is the grizzly able to climb hills without me having to worry about flipping or stopping midway?

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Can a 700cc grizzly climb a hill? I’ve got a couple hills on my trails. One isn’t super steep and the other is a shorter hill but a good bit steeper. Is the grizzly able to climb hills without me having to worry about flipping or stopping midway?
It's a 700 ATV with a cvt. Concidering an old 200cc 3 wheeler from the 80s would climb just about any hill on the trails, no reason a big bore can't.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
453 Posts
They certainly can, it sounds like you have some trepidation due to lack of experience and would gently suggest some reading of manual and better yet someone to give you some off road mentoring.
It is normal, even my Wrangler Rubicon has limits (abet few) so don't rush it and start small to learn gearing, traction, weighting and critical momentum....same as when going down a steep incline.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,300 Posts
Agree with the others. Yes, a Grizzly is a great trail machine and I often refer to mine as a mountain goat. I'm amazed at the inclines it will go up and with confidence. However, know that you should gradually work your way up to steeper as your experience and confidence grows. Many have a tendency to put very large back boxes on these and then load them up with heavy items. If you're not used to a lot of weight in the back, it can throw the balance off making the front end lighter than you would want. Point is, don't buy one, put a lot of weight in the back and then next day enter a hill climb challenge. Get used to the feel gradually and then start to push your boundaries as your confidence grows.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It'll climb anything you can get traction on. But as to flipping.... you can certainly flip one (or any ATV) if you do things wrong.

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The real question should be can the rider climb. Practice on small stuff as you gain experience try some bigger hills.
Make sure that no riders are coming down. Never stop part way up. Steeper hills with loose gravel or rocks use 4wd. Really no need for low gear unless you want to crawl.
The Griz can handle a lot.

Reactions: diverscale

·
Registered
66 Posts
Second @reogem

Grizzly can definitely perform but can the rider? No question can the Grizzly climb it’s one of the most capable utility quads made. It climbs like a mountain goat not much it won’t climb.

You even asking this question has me concerned for your safety and safety of the bike 💯💯. May we also suggest full riding gear with helmet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with the others. Yes, a Grizzly is a great trail machine and I often refer to mine as a mountain goat. I'm amazed at the inclines it will go up and with confidence. However, know that you should gradually work your way up to steeper as your experience and confidence grows. Many have a tendency to put very large back boxes on these and then load them up with heavy items. If you're not used to a lot of weight in the back, it can throw the balance off making the front end lighter than you would want. Point is, don't buy one, put a lot of weight in the back and then next day enter a hill climb challenge. Get used to the feel gradually and then start to push your boundaries as your confidence grows.

I've done the pack stuff in the back (Kolpin). The weight for me comes with the tool bag I carry. To offset it, I put a rotopax 3.5gal on the front rack. It's a perfect balance! Great replies everyone. Good to help a fellow Grizz along!

I carry tools in my Kolpin that add weight to the rear, however, I've found the perfect balance by adding a 3.5g Rotopax to the front rack. Great posts by everyone to help a fellow Grizz out!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts