Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The griz has been sitting a few days so I went out to crank it up for a few minutes. I had the petcock off. Turned it on and walked away for 5 minutes. Came back and smelled gas. It's leaking gas out of the drain tube on very bottom of carb. Turned petcock off and started it for a few and it's stopped leaking. Turned petcock on and no leak. Any ideas what's up. Maybe from not running gas out of carb after turning petcock of from before?? Stuck needle? Any ideas??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just weird. It was just dripping out. Just checked it again and it isn't dripping anymore. Hopefully passed a lil piece of debris??

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Maybe now it's out of gas?:devil:

It may not happen again but be prepared to replace the needle and seat.
As gas can flood the crankcase always check the oil after a gas leaking episode.

Reactions: Outlaw41

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully it is done for now!!! I hope I don't have to work on it during hunting season.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
May have just been a piece of dirt causing your float's to stick open. Hopefully it's clear now. I feel it's important to always turn petcock off when done riding. I always run the machine with the petcock in the off position until she dies to get rid of gas in the carb. Long term storage I drain the float bowl as well. Quick cure, that some time helps, is to have petcock off, remove float bowl drain screw and blow some compressed air up into the carb. This some times help dislodge a piece of dirt or grit in the float valve & seat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what to do. It did start to leak again. Prob 1 drip every 5-10 seconds. I turned gas off and ran the carb dry. Today I turned fuel back on and it didn't drip. I did buy a rebuild kit. Should I start taking things apart or watch & wait??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably the float needle sticking, my blaster did the same thing. Rebuild and try to use nonethonal gas.my needle was a bit cruddy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok. I've started the rebuild. So far I've got the carb off. Only 1 prob so far. The bolt connecting the petcock plastic piece broke. I have it soaking in pb blaster now. Hopefully I can get it unscrewed and replaced. Tomorrow I'll start to take apart carb!! This is my first time so any advise or tips would b much appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
If you use gas with ethanol some of the components in the carb will get corroded. Your stealership should have a rebuild kit with parts made for ethanol. I've seen this happen on a few 660s. It's really a quick fix, and probably should be done as a precaution even if the carb doesn't leak again... If your gas has ethanol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got everything put back together!!! It started right up. No leaks as of yet! Choke seams to b acting differently. Other than that it's all good!! Oh and I broke that bolt on the petcock but I'll figure something out on that

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It started leaking again. Same as last time. 5-10 drips a minute. When I did the rebuild a few weeks ago the needles and o rings didn't look bad. The bowl gasket was a bit cruddy but a replaced it all. Scratching my head now

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I may have figured it out. I believe it was leaking from the bowl screw. The fuel was leaking from there and dripping from the bottom bowl drain. I put a little Teflon tape on screw and it has stopped dripping for now

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
if it is the normal white teflon the gas will eat it. There is a petroleum safe teflon easily available

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After the rebuild I'm still having an issue. It's only leaking after I turn fuel on. When I store it I run the fuel out of carb. When I go to run it I turn fuel on and it leaks. Stops leaking after I turn fuel off. Any ideas or suggestions would b appreciated.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Outlaw41- Is the leak coming from the bottom of the float bowl or from the vent hose? I ask because you mentioned leak from bowl drain screw?
If it's from the bowl just replace that brass screw (drain) and see what happens. If it's from the hose vent then I would say that you still have a float issue. You'll need to check the float height.
Here's a simple way to do it without having to take the carb off:

That will get you in the ballpark for float level. On my 2004 660 the float level should be "4.5mm above the float chamber mating surface".
that's measuring with carb on the Grizz.
If your float level is off your going to remove the carb and then adjust the float bowl level. With the bowl sitting upside down (floats up) you'll need a float height of 13mm (2004 660), from the mating surface to the top of the float bowls. Hopefully you have a manual, it has instructions and spec's.
Just some more info-you have replaced the needle and seat. check to see if floats have holes/leaks in them, if so replace the floats. Make sure the floats move very freely, if not, it maybe just as simple as the pin holding the floats is damaged (clean pin).
If you remove the carb make sure to pull the float needle and seat and look down into where it sits, make sure it's clean and not corroded.
Lastly do a "You Tube" search, they have some good videos. Doesn't matter if it's a Grizz or motorcycle, principle is the same. Good luck and hopefully you can cure this problem. In the mean time keep that petcock turned off while sitting in storage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WGC- thank u for info. The rebuild kit didn't come with new floats. After hunting season I'll take it apart again and check. I really appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Outlaw41- Not saying it is the floats but we need to eliminate them as a problem. Enjoy your Hunting season.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted to sum everything up in case others have similar problems.
After doing the rebuild on the carb it continued leaking. I took it apart again and noticed something with the float needle valve. The spring clip that connects the value to the float was a tad bigger than the one I took off. So as it opened and closed it would shimmy around and get jammed open and causing the leak. I just took spring clip from old one and did a swap.

I also found a tear in the rubber diaphram. The clip holding it on had a chipped edge so when diaphram would move, it caused the tear. Replaced.

Put everything back together and it couldn't take any throttle. Just chugged and died as soon as I hit it. I adjusted jet needle down one notch and she's purring like a kitten now. Hope someone finds this info useful someday!! Thanks for all the help along the way

Reactions: YammerHammer
1 - 20 of 20 Posts