Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just repainted my front + rear cargo racks. Rust-oleum makes a "truck bed coating" in a big aerosol can sold at Home depot for about 6 bucks a can. It is amazing how well it matched the original matte finish! One can did both racks. You gotta see it to believe it....dried in 1hr!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great idea! I'd love to see it, will you post pictures?

Cheers,
Leslie

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just bought a used 05 Kodiak and used the Rustoleum product to redo the front/rear racks also. I thought it turned out really well-hopefully it'll hold up good too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah that rustoleum and duplicolor spray liner is great stuff. Us folks in the jeep world use that stuff to paint wheels and bumpers on our jeeps. Just gotta make sure you strip the metal and clean it right and then hit it with self etching primer before the bedliner. The best paint job is all in the prep work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rack paint picture

New to posting pictures, but here is the paint and the can. The plastic was painted with another product that I dont care for. Too glossy. The rack however looks better than new with a pebble like matte finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
what GA Grizz says. Strip all the old paint off. I did it with a palm sander, wire wheel and sand blasted in corners. I used duplicolor on one and rustolium on anoter. It's just my losy $.02 but I like rustolium better. The dupi seemed to chip easier. I did use dupi self etching primer too. It was an olive green color primer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I painted my Jeep sliders with the Rustolium Bed Liner and it has held up great. Very durable. The good thing about it is if you need to touch it up it blends back in well. The bad thing, it seems to hold onto the mud and dirt better than regular paint because of it's texture. I'll be using it on our quad.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wonder if I can do my wheels (stock) with this.
Yeah ColoGrizzGuy you can do the stock wheels, just remember. A good paint job is all in the prep work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a thought but I use this stuff called POR15 on my offroad truck and it is truely some narly tuff stuff. Have you guys ever used in on ATVs? Its not cheap but worth the added bucks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Us guys over on the jeep forums use POR15 but I have never used it on my Grizz.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
For prep work you can buy aircraft paint remover. You spray this stuff on paint and it starts bubbling off. It's kinda expensive but it makes life much easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
RamblinJim, did you remove the racks or just tape off around them? I just got a '07 400 and would like to do this. If you did remove them, was it easy? I just downloaded the repair manual so I'll check it out as well, but thought I'd try to get input from someone that actually did the work.

ColoGrizguy, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was going to go with a black gloss, but think the bedliner paint might be more durable and be better at hiding blemishes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts