Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 700 grizzly im only getting 12 volts at the battery but I’m getting 14.5 volts or higher at the regulator any ideas?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have a 2008 700 grizzly im only getting 12 volts at the battery but I’m getting 14.5 volts or higher at the regulator any ideas?
I'm no expert for sure, but if you are getting over 14 volts at the reg, seems like the stator must be working, so if it's only 12 at the battery, maybe the regulator is bad, or there is a bad/loose connection? @dezz, @okbear, @reogem most likely can clear it up for sure.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Are you getting 14.5 volts at the output of the regulator or the input?
If it's on the output, then this suggests you got a break in the circuit between the regulator and battery. Check for broken wires, bad fuses, poor connections, etc.
If it's on the input of the regulator, then this voltage is much too low. Additionally, the stator puts out AC Voltage, not DC. The regulator/rectifier changes it to DC Voltage.

Additionally, download a factory service manual. All the testing procedures are in there. Get the manual at www.tradebit.com for less than $20.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
07's and 08's are notorious for stator problems my 08 went at 1500 well maintained miles. There are some threads on here that tell you how to check the stator. I remember reading them when I found mine toasted. I would look that way first as it is way more common failure than the regulator from all I've read.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
07's and 08's are notorious for stator problems my 08 went at 1500 well maintained miles. There are some threads on here that tell you how to check the stator. I remember reading them when I found mine toasted. I would look that way first as it is way more common failure than the regulator from all I've read.
This is a very valid point. I never noticed you have a 2008 model 700.
These have a known and well documented history of stator failures. It was fixed with the 2009-newer models. The fix was offered free of charge to the older models for a few years, but that has long been discontinued. Does your 700 already have the updated parts? If not, it's a high probability that your stator is fried.

If you need a new stator, it is highly recommended that you install the updated side cover with oil line (if not already updated) so you never have this problem again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
do you recommend going with heavy duty aftermarket RM stator or is factory stator okay along with updated cover and oil line?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,086 Posts
do you recommend going with heavy duty aftermarket RM stator or is factory stator okay along with updated cover and oil line?
Either stator should be fine. I went with the RM stator because cheaper. I've had no issues with it just make sure and cover the exposed stator wires with automotive plastic loom to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Before assuming your stator is gone, you should first verify this. If your stator is still good, then it is still in your best interest to install the upgraded parts to help prevent stator failure in the future.

It is very high probability your stator is gone. But don't ever assume. That can get expensive replacing good parts.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
@Loon, I didn't mention the stator in my first reply due to the fact that you mentioned that you had 14.5 volts showing in one part of the system. I kinda figured that @dezz would be able to tell where and what to test to be sure. The 2007 and 2008 stator/oil cooled cover upgrade is very well covered in this forum, even with a complete parts list, etc. Yamaha Sports Plaza as far as I could tell was the best place to get everything, it's all OEM genuine Yamaha parts, except the stator. Get that from RM Stator, best price, top quality. The whole shebang will run you about $400.00. Get the service manual that @dezz mentioned. If you have any mechanical ability and tools, you can do this work. Step by step, follow the directions. When I did mine, I printed all the pertinent pages from this forum, and had my service manual dvd running on the laptop, all out in the garage. It went fine. Could not have done it without ALL the info. Read ALL the tips and tricks in the forum. If you have any questions, ask. A bunch of us have done this. I would highly recommend doing the upgrade whether your current charging problem is the stator or not, because it probably will be at some point anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts