Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with cheap eBay carbs? I have an 04 Grizzly 660 and I went the Sidexside route for awhile so my Grizz sat up for probably 3 years. It needed some attention when I put her up so I went ahead and did a top end rebuild, EBay special carburetor. Now it will only run with alil throttle ,won’t idle, and as soon as you give it some gas it Boggs down and dies. I’ve checked all the intakes and there is no vacuum leaks, I’ve tried adjusting the A//F screw. I tried all kinda stuff I’m just wondering if the whole problem is that I’m cheap and went with a $35 carb instead of an oem one.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I've had good luck out of the cheapo carbs on the two older Hondas I restored. Sounds like you got a piece of crap one. Double check all the repairs you made for the top end kit and if everything checks out it has to be the carb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Might be the jetting in the cheap carb, they are known for that. Put the jets from your original carb in the Chinese copy that helps most the time.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took a run at one and it worked great for about a week, then the Kodiak wouldn't idle. Was going to pull the carb next day when I went to the garage to find fuel/oil in a puddle under the bike. No I had not turned off the petcock, stupid! stupid! stupid! Pulled the carb and found very fine metal shavings in the float bowl and around the float needle tip. I probably could have just cleaned it up but nothing assures me that some metal shavings aren't stuck in any other ports or capillaries that wouldn't someday come loose and no carb cleaner can cut through that kind of stuff so I just ordered an OEM Mikuni. It is sitting on my table ready to install as we speak. I returned the CCC to Amazon for a refund.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an Update guys. I put my bike in the shop and turns out it was a combination of a few things. I ended up getting an OEM carb and even with the OEM carb the mechanic had to reseat the diaphragm on top of the carb because it wasn't seated right. My valves were extremely tight, and my voltage regulator was bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having similar issues with my 98 600 previous owner broke carb and ordered ebay cheapy I'm assuming, sob to start when cold doesn't like high rpms was told to buy carb kit and switch out internals what do you guys think... and yes valves are in spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts