Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winch quit on me this evening.
I would spool out but not in. I was going to use it to help pull a tree I was cutting. Had a series of ropes and pulleys etc..
Anyway. Free spool’d out and it wouldn’t go back in.
Checked all wiring, thumb rocker, power supply and I direct wired the winch to a spare battery and it spooled back in.
Took the solenoid off to diagnose it..
I found it had been installed in the Dumbest place ever.
It’s mounted to the back of the winch plate. It gets dunked in every puddle I go through.
I never actually ever looked to see where it was. It was factory installed and I traded my Canam for this machine last year.

I took the solenoid apart and this is what I found.
Corroded horribly.
I’d say it’s buggered !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Notice all the water inside the box?
The coil looks ok but there’s gotta be a corroded wire in where you can’t see.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
The older warn solenoid used to be mounted near the battery, these newer ones I recall show installation behind the winch plate and it just does not make sense. Another project for this coming spring.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yep.....that looks ugly! Seems there is two different approaches on where to install the contactor. I like the high and dry approach. I mounted mine up between the battery and the gearshift on my 14.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My new one is going inside the storage box. I looked all over and there’s really no room anywhere else. I’ve got so many other wires and such, space is getting limited.
There is a hole in the storage box already from the wires for my EHS controller. So it was just a matter of pushing more wires through the hole.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Wow! Sorry about that Kawi! That sucks. Awhile back, I saw a thread where a guy was arguing that mounting down on the plate was okay if you have a "quality winch". I think Warn is considered the conerstone of quality when it comes to wnches. This is exactly the reason for mounting high and dry no matter what winch you have. Thread saved for future inquiries on where to mount the contactor.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a brand new one of these from a winch I purchased for a sxs a few years back. It has a fancy connecting threaded bit, but I’m gonna do some soldering on the switch wiring so I can use my Warn thumb rocker. It’s already mounted and I like the Warn one better.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This solenoid was for a 4500 lbs winch I bought from “Canada Winch. Com” for $189. It was a complete kit for that $189 price, but I only needed the winch as the wiring was good on the side by side I was installing it on. Keep this old solenoid for years. I knew it would come in handy someday.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New solenoid installed inside the storage box.
A bit of a pain with all of the large gauge wires.
I didn’t have enough rubber wire connectors so several coats of liquid electric tape will do nicely.

Reactions: okbear and it400

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ugh, I also dunk mine regularly. Guess I should add this to the list this winter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts