Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 660...choke only works at about 1/4 way open...after that its like its not on at all. And even at 1/4 open its still not working very well....cable is in good shape, i took the cable loose from the carb and the spring and all is working order...just dont know what else i need to be looking for

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
A choke isn't a real choke on a mikuni. It just draws some extra fuel. If you touch the throttle while choking it then the choke immediatly quits working so you can't do both at the same time. Seeing how you've already inspected the cable and plunger you need to disassemble the the carb completly and use spray carb cleaner and compressed air to clean it all out. If you have to use a choke to start these yamahas it means that the carb is dirty or not tuned correctly and your valves are out of spec. These bikes are not coldnatured, I never need the choke, it fires up immediatly even below zero because the carb is clean and tuned and the valves are in spec.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Don't forget to add a new inline gas filter.

·
Premium Member
12,491 Posts
Me l can't get mine to work sometimes it will work. Can someone give me some tips
Welcome from Colorado.
I suggest a new thread for your problem, and suggest you add a signature to your account listing your machine. Some bikes don't like an inline fuel filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A choke isn't a real choke on a mikuni. It just draws some extra fuel. If you touch the throttle while choking it then the choke immediatly quits working so you can't do both at the same time. Seeing how you've already inspected the cable and plunger you need to disassemble the the carb completly and use spray carb cleaner and compressed air to clean it all out. If you have to use a choke to start these yamahas it means that the carb is dirty or not tuned correctly and your valves are out of spec. These bikes are not coldnatured, I never need the choke, it fires up immediatly even below zero because the carb is clean and tuned and the valves are in spec.
Perhaps YOU Are the person I need to talk to about my dads Grizzly !
1998 Grizzly 600. Its ran Absolutely Flawlessly since my dad got it in '99. About 3 years ago it started acting as if the carburetor was over fueling the engine. This over fueling issue has been gradually getting worse & worse & worse to the point the engine was being so over fueled it would die if we let off the throttle. Start it up again - it would spit, sputter, cough, gag all while a cloud of black smoke exited the exhaust (which was another tell tale sign to us it was being WAAAY over fueled).
Couple weeks ago we got a new carb off the internet - Not an "oem" carb, but 1 that looked a lot like the oem. We installed it. It starts & idles perfectly, just like new. We can attempt to ride it 1 loop around our driveway & half way through the loop it will cough, spit, sputter & pop back through the carb.
We've tried changing the jets in the carb. I tried adjusting the clip on the needle. We've changed the needle & seat in the float bowl.
We have tried everything we know what to try. This long question I have typed out to You is the last thing we are trying. If This doesn't work, we're loading it up & taking it to town (which is what we're trying to avoid).
Thank You in advance for Any information You can offer : )

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,173 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That user hasn’t been on this site in over 10 years and most likely won’t respond. Might be best to start your own thread about the issue your ATV is having and then be patient as there are not too many Grizzly 600 owners on here. But there is past experience with them and your issues sounds more like a general carb related issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts