Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this thing up yesterday. Only has 14 hours on it. It is mint and very clean. It has skid plates and oversized tires and wheels. Noticed while riding around my cul de sac this morning that when I turn sharp with a little load there is a clicking that comes on the turn. I've read through other posts and don't see anything. One mention of oversized tires, another of CV issues. Only have 14 hours, i can't see the CV's being worn already. This thing looks like it came from the factory it's so clean underneath. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Mine had done it since day 1,hasn't gotten worse maybe better. Mine is a creaking/ticking coming from the suspension or steering, it's definitely not a CV joint that has a distinctive click-click-click-click-click as you turn sharp. It happens more in technical rising when I'm leaning way forward and turning sharp & slow. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Will save and edit this so as not to lose it all or add more posts, I truelly can't remember if I have said this already on the forum. As NcMudman has stated...old mans disease...I am getting forgetful.

Here is the answer to your guys question. On my 2015 Grizzly 700, after getting back from Colorado riding with Ridgway last fall, my Grizz was clicking or popping when I turned. I thought something wrong in the steering and this was cause for concern, especially after chasing Ridgway up 8 foot wide or narrower shelf with a thousand feet of air off the side. This is a loud pop, not a suspension click, squeak or rattle. But a pop like something is really wrong pop.

You can also grab the front wheel and shake it back and forth (in and out is the direction)..... to create the same sound, one of the dealership mechanics discovered this. I had noticed this turning sharply.

I first thought that this was my winch hook not tight and popping, clanging around, or a big rock sliding around in one of my skids, been there on both, finally got around to really ruling this out,..not a rock or the winch hook..not the problem. Still under warranty...take to point of purchase dealership.

My dealership, now..sadly closed completely, had a top shelf set of mechanics for years, several left at the same time, right around the purchase of my Grizzly. So, there was a new crew in there.

Went in with my problem...left the Grizzly, they called me...was my set of Richochet skid plates popping. Ok, maybe so, go pick it up, go home and remove all of the skids...I was off work that day and this need resolved while under warranty. Still popping. Take it back. Head guy said...oh ok, not the skids, must be those custom rim, must be those custom ITP rims...he tries to smear some grease behind them to stop the popping no help....does all four tires, must be the rims.....ok, maybe, but I doubt it. I still have the original wheels and tires at home, my buddy that I sold them to has not picked them up. I have ran ITP rims on my other two Grizzlies...and my son and I played hard, never a popping problem before.....so anyway....

I haul the Grizzly home....again..think this is the third trip...on a hot day.....change all the tires..go back again.....took all of my internal control to not have a complete come apart and blow a freakin gasket....I was nice......still popping when I turn hard, the other mechanic shows me all that you need to do is grab the tire and shake it back and forth Edit: push it in and out is a better description, just get a hold of the tire at the top with both hands and push in and pull out, bearing will slide and pop in the hub.....good observation on the mechanics part....really somebody should have known the other deferred blames was B.S. But he probably needed his job and did not want to make his boss look bad.

Head mechanic...out of options......guesses....deferred blame......will call the factory Monday........this must have been on a Saturday.

WhiskeyMike, being a machinist....you are not going to like this....and I am sure that you will have to fix yours.....lol.......but....wait for it......

wait a little longer........

just a little longer.......this was a hot day of my life to get to an answer....four trips? hauling the Grizzly to the dealership.....and I still have to put my skids, tires and all back together on another day.....yeah buddy!

Ok, enough, here is the answer, the factory knew exactly what the problem was. The wheel hubs where the wheel bearings go, where drilled to deep, allowing the wheel axle hub bearing to slide back and forth, creates the loud pop. I could visibly see the gap in mine when one was replaced. Now this needs to be resolved because not only are your bearings sliding back and forth, but so is your axle.

Now here is the kicker to all of this, one of my hubs was on backorder for ever...months, and my dealership closed...shut down....and I still do not have one side fixed. The bearing was loctited in by the dealership. And that is the way it still is.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
For some reason, In my head, I picture WhiskeyMike in the garage now, shaking his front tires in and out listening for the pop, and soon to follow having a front hub pulled off with his machinist measuring tools going wild.....lol.

Just look at it my friend, you can see the gap.

Reactions: whiskeymike

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Well that's good that they knew it was a problem and didn't do a damn thing!

I will have to machine a spacer I suppose. I'm not messing with the dealer even though mine is decent. Eventually it will woller out the bore.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I thought a spacer also, wish you would make me one for the side they did not get fixed. Or tell me what size to buy?

Now that I think about it, I believe it was the front and the back hubs, I had three replaced and one of the fronts was on back order, never got it.

To check this, just grab a hold of the tire at the top and shake it in and out, you will hear the pop if yours is out of tolerance, or bored to deep, and needs either replaced or a spacer put behind the bearing. Check both front and back tires.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
So, I have noticed this also. Only in the front end, though. I'll be checking mine soon. We're headed out on a trip in September.

Whiskey- I bet you know what I'm getting ready to ask you....

Reactions: DrMud

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Of course I'm willing to do that, but I don't know when. I've been veeeeeeeery busy lately. Powder coating yeti cups like they are going out of style and I need to work on both of my trucks. Grass is nearing my knees!

Reactions: DrMud and okbear

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine is a 2013 700 and I have the same problem....guess I now know what the issue is.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before. Or maybe I just missed it.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
This will really be a shim mod fix, we just need to know what size shim to drop in before we press the bearing back in to the hub. Probably be one per new bearing change. So, every time we change a bearing, we will need to drop a new replacement shim.

I am going to call another dealer to see if I can still get my back order hub.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 15 700, both front axles have been clicking sice my first ride, it hasent gotten any worse nor any better, only clicks when turning in either direction moving forward or reverse, i ride pretty hard so im not to terribly worried about it, when they break i'll just replace them.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 15 700, both front axles have been clicking sice my first ride, it hasent gotten any worse nor any better, only clicks when turning in either direction moving forward or reverse, i ride pretty hard so im not to terribly worried about it, when they break i'll just replace them.
Replacing means entire hub assembly complete with bearing...I have replaced these before too, seems like about a hundred dollars deal. Not sure about the risk of the axle sliding in and out of the differential. My head mechanic implied that this was an issue.

Edit: Parts shark, complete hub assembly, $107 located under front wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow...thanks guys. I'll check it out by moving the tires about...I may need this better explained when the time comes for the fix. About installing these shims.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just checked mine tonight and my right front clicks/tings and so does my left rear. Not too happy about it. I have 35 hours on this thing. Whisky when you figure out the measurements for the shim, could you post it? I have a machinist friend who can hopefully help me out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've tried reading this a few times, but still may be confused and it's been a few months since I've torn one apart.

Are you talking about the koyo wheel bearing moving slightly? Any wheel bearing I've removed or installed have required an hydraulic press, so I doubt the bearing is moving. Secondly, the axle nut should hold everything together. I've had a loose axle nut before as well.

Like I said earlier, I may not be interpretations what is being said.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes I will, just need time

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Lol, I skip a nights sleep every once in awhile. Usually get 4 hours on the weekends so it's ok.

Reactions: okbear

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Me grizzly, the wheel bearing is sliding back in forth in the bore because the bore has been drilled to deep, that is the problem. You cannot tighten this up unless you add a spacer shim behind the bearing, more risky in front of the bearing.

We are waiting on our resident machinist to get us a shim measurement, but he has grass to mow, trucks to work on and a day job to keep him sleeping in doors.

But I am sure this out of spec issue is driving him nuts and will soon be measured and spec' out. Lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts