Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Me grizzly, the wheel bearing is sliding back in forth in the bore because the bore has been drilled to deep, that is the problem. You cannot tighten this up unless you add a spacer shim behind the bearing, more risky in front of the bearing.

We are waiting on our resident machinist to get us a shim measurement, but he has grass to mow, trucks to work on and a day job to keep him sleeping in doors.

But I am sure this out of spec issue is driving him nuts and will soon be measured and spec' out. Lol
Presuming that this is only a problem on the newer ones, have either the wheel bearing or the hub been changed or updated? I've done several wheel bearings In the grizzly's and all of them have required a press for removal and installation. I just can't see the wheel bearing moving unless the diameter of the bearing or hub has changed.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I assume this is a width or depth issue on either the bearing or the bore, not a diameter issue, but, I am sure we will be given some specs soon.
But, if you have this problem, your bearing will eventually slide in and out. Mine Actually pops pretty loud when this happens.

Reactions: megrizzly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can't get mine to click when I move the wheel around by hand. back and forth, side to side etc. Only when I am turning sharp. I haven't even been able to take this thing for a good rip, hoping to tomorrow...see what happens!

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have to give it a good pull and push for it to click. While riding I heard my grizz do it numerous times in slow technical rough sections. The rear will never see the side load force the front bearings see. I only hear my left front, but while testing them by hand, one of my rears clicked too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will have to keep my ears open for this clicking as I have the same year as you.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
After I finished doing an oil change and changing the gear oil today, I ran it down the subdivision street. I got down to the end of the street and made a left turn to turn around and heard a loud pop in the front end. Turned to to the right and heard a loud pop from the other side. First thing I thought about was remembering reading this thread awhile back. Anyone done anything with this issue? DrMud did you ever get your backordered hub and if so did it take care of the issue?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I believe Whiskeymike is still planning to look into this. He has been busy and I just made him busier as he's doing a rush order dash plate for me... I'm sure he'll get to it ASAP. It affects his '15 as well.

Reactions: it400

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
No, never did get the hub, warranty is expired now, I need to follow up with Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Me grizzly, the wheel bearing is sliding back in forth in the bore because the bore has been drilled to deep, that is the problem. You cannot tighten this up unless you add a spacer shim behind the bearing, more risky in front of the bearing.

We are waiting on our resident machinist to get us a shim measurement, but he has grass to mow, trucks to work on and a day job to keep him sleeping in doors.

But I am sure this out of spec issue is driving him nuts and will soon be measured and spec' out. Lol
My 2016 is doing the same thing. At full turn I get a pop noise. Please let me know if you get a shim to eliminate this!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did anyone find a fix for this? It's been a few years (and I haven't ridden a ton) but i'd still like to try and fix this...Thanks!

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Did anyone find a fix for this? It's been a few years (and I haven't ridden a ton) but i'd still like to try and fix this...Thanks!
IF you have the same issue of the knuckle is bored too deep for the bearing (causing it to move in/out), then the fix is too replace the complete knuckle assembly.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

It is irritating. You'd think they'd have had that bore spec down pretty well considering they were using the same bearing for years prior to this issue.

IF you have the same issue of the knuckle is bored too deep for the bearing (causing it to move in/out), then the fix is too replace the complete knuckle assembly.

I don't ride enough to be that worried about it but that's ultimately what I'll do.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I just bought a used 2014 and it does this as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on size of the shim needed to take the play out? My '15 is driving me nuts with the clicking sound.

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I suggest a new thread to start this over now, to find a new fix possibly.
If I have this problem and needed a shim, I would go to the machine shop 50 miles away (takes a good busy shop) with my parts for measurement and get 1) .5 mm shim and 2) 1 mm shims to try until I got the right amount. Then get more when needed.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts