Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my friends

After a long winter, I went with my friends to ride near to the Andes Mountains in a state called San Juan, here in Argentina. This was our first visit to this place.
Our objective was to reach the top of Pircas Hill ant 4380 mts of altitude or 14370 feets.
The journey was not easy because it was almost 100% off road, we rode around 90 miles, and the altitude was rough for the machines and for us.
We did the night in a mountain refuge, enjoying a barbecue and good wines.

Here a few pictures of our journey and a short video.

Tire Sky Wheel Mountain Motorcycle

Ecoregion Map Light Nature Slope
Tire Wheel Sky Mountain Vehicle
Sky Plant community Ecoregion Luggage and bags Mountain
Tire Wheel Ecoregion Automotive tire Vehicle
Bedrock Sky Slope Mountain Formation
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire Landscape
Hand Light Watch Communication Device Gadget
Water Cloud Sky Atmospheric phenomenon Horizon

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,112 Posts
I did not watch your video yet, but what is the story behind the ATV on its side?

Thanks once again for pictures.

Reactions: Julio

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
So you did 45 miles each day?
And at 14,370ft. you've had a Grizzly higher than any other member I know.
I saw the remains of your summer snow, your mountains are waking up while my mountains are now going to sleep for the winter :)
In my area we do have areas with very little human impact but its hard to go more than 10 miles without seeing an old building, nothing like what I see in your video. Due to the mining activity around here we have many more old wagon roads to ride, toward the end of your video the trail looked like a single wide horse track.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not watch your video yet, but what is the story behind the ATV on its side?

Thanks once again for pictures.
Hi Redrocket , I hope you are fine. The trail in some places was broken for the water , so one wheel must rode over the mountain side and the another wheel must rode over the trail. This guy buddy doubts how to pass and the trail didnt had mercy with him.

Fortunately the quad was ok and him just a suffered a few blows to the knee.

You are welcome-

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you did 45 miles each day?
And at 14,370ft. you've had a Grizzly higher than any other member I know.
I saw the remains of your summer snow, your mountains are waking up while my mountains are now going to sleep for the winter :)
In my area we do have areas with very little human impact but its hard to go more than 10 miles without seeing an old building, nothing like what I see in your video. Due to the mining activity around here we have many more old wagon roads to ride, toward the end of your video the trail looked like a single wide horse track.
Hi Ridgways how are you ? We rode 90 miles each day, the recod of altitude for my Grizzly is 16240 ft when we reached the caldera of Galan Volcano.
This place is the pre-cordillera , its no so high and the snow melts with the firsts days of the srping, but near to here, there is the Cordillera with eternal snow over the 18000ft, becuase here we are near to the tropic.

In those place lives few people, and you need to do a good track because if you consume all the gasoline you are in a big problem.

Cyclocomputer Light Fluid Bicycle accessory Communication Device

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
I'm doing well....glad to see you're back on the trails.
So when your snow starts to leave you call the season spring, I wasn't sure is the season names are the same worldwide for the month naming on the calendar, or reversed in different hemispheres.
What was the elevation at the trail head?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm doing well....glad to see you're back on the trails.
So when your snow starts to leave you call the season spring, I wasn't sure is the season names are the same worldwide for the month naming on the calendar, or reversed in different hemispheres.
What was the elevation at the trail head?
The seasons are reversed in the hemispheres, when there is summer , here is winter.

The initial point was at 2300ft.

Ecoregion Map Light Nature Slope

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
:)
A 12,000 ft. climb over 90 miles is much greater than I can do around here over 90 miles.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)
A 12,000 ft. climb over 90 miles is much greater than I can do around here over 90 miles.
In fact the climb is over 46miles, 90 miles is for the all day.

The funny fact was, one of the buddy is a doctor, and he was suffering altitude sickness , he felt very sick, so we went quickly as possible to the cabin around the 5900 ft, and there was prepraing a barbacue local people , and they applied him a native cure, and him started to feel better.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
I spent this last summer/fall season driving a touring truck or built jeep from town at 7700 ft. to around 13,200 ft. over a 12 mile driving distance and a straight line distance of about 6 miles. The truck could hold over a dozen guests and the jeep 5 guests, and on many trips someone would start to show problems with the elevation and not always at the top yet. Some where elderly and some younger kids, you never knew who was next.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent this last summer/fall season driving a touring truck or built jeep from town at 7700 ft. to around 13,200 ft. over a 12 mile driving distance and a straight line distance of about 6 miles. The truck could hold over a dozen guests and the jeep 5 guests, and on many trips someone would start to show problems with the elevation and not always at the top yet. Some where elderly and some younger kids, you never knew who was next.
Nice, do you have pictures of your truck ? When we go over the 14700ft, we carried a oxigen bottle.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Both....
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Two of the more memorable trips this summer where because of a guest.
1) One trip was booked by a lady in her 80's wanting to share the area with 3 younger generations of her family...yes there were very young kids in the group. Grandma's health was very poor yet she started in the back of the truck, for the first 5 miles of a 24 mile run. She requested I load extra gear for her possible needs while gone which included a six pack of small oxygen bottles, a oxygen generator and a portable toilet still new in the box. At the 5 mile mark she decided she needed to pee, and with urgency she didn't want to take time to unbox the crapper and learned how to hug a tree :) She used the bottles set to 100% full on and had 1/2 a tank left when we got back to the office, it was close. After her first pee, she decided to ride up front with me, and we got to talk some. I asked her if she had made the trip knowing she might die and she replied 'showing her family where she and her husband had honey-mooned was worth the risk on her last trip to Colorado'. You never know what motivates people to visit these mountains.
2) The other trip had a guy riding along and the higher up we went the more he asked about the elevation and the oxygen level. I took that group to 13,600 ft. and once back at the office he confided he is a pilot and never flies above 10,000 ft. without breathing supplemental oxygen. He mentioned he felt fine while out and might rethink his procedures.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both....
View attachment 101354

View attachment 101355

Two of the more memorable trips this summer where because of a guest.
1) One trip was booked by a lady in her 80's wanting to share the area with 3 younger generations of her family...yes there were very young kids in the group. Grandma's health was very poor yet she started in the back of the truck, for the first 5 miles of a 24 mile run. She requested I load extra gear for her possible needs while gone which included a six pack of small oxygen bottles, a oxygen generator and a portable toilet still new in the box. At the 5 mile mark she decided she needed to pee, and with urgency she didn't want to take time to unbox the crapper and learned how to hug a tree :) She used the bottles set to 100% full on and had 1/2 a tank left when we got back to the office, it was close. After her first pee, she decided to ride up front with me, and we got to talk some. I asked her if she had made the trip knowing she might die and she replied 'showing her family where she and her husband had honey-mooned was worth the risk on her last trip to Colorado'. You never know what motivates people to visit these mountains.
2) The other trip had a guy riding along and the higher up we when the more he asked about the elevation ad the oxygen level. I took that group to 13.600 ft. and once back at the office he confided he is a pilot and never flies above 10,000 ft. without breathing supplemental oxygen. He mentioned he felt fine while out and might rethink his procedures.
Beautiful vehicles and place to live , congrats, you are living the dream.

Did you know about this oximeter ?
Oximeter

It can help you to understand if your guest is ok with the level of oxigen in blood.

Anyway Im not a doctor, is just a idea..

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Beautiful vehicles and place to live , congrats, you are living the dream.

Did you know about this oximeter ?
Oximeter

It can help you to understand if your guest is ok with the level of oxigen in blood.

Anyway Im not a doctor, is just a idea..
I know of the meters, and many guests these days have one with them.
I don't rely on or carry a meter, and the truth be known I don't asked the guests about existing medical conditions before leaving town. I learned to make very frequent stops to let the guests take in what they see, so every few minutes I stop the engine and look at/visit with the guests.
I can detect someone having a problem showing up faster than having each guest use the meter. I'm not a M.D. either but learned that someone down on oxygen gets sloppy in the speech and cannot focus clearly. For people at the onset of oxygen depravation I just turn around and descend a 1000 ft. and this has worked every time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi my friends

After a long winter, I went with my friends to ride near to the Andes Mountains in a state called San Juan, here in Argentina. This was our first visit to this place.
Our objective was to reach the top of Pircas Hill ant 4380 mts of altitude or 14370 feets.
The journey was not easy because it was almost 100% off road, we rode around 90 miles, and the altitude was rough for the machines and for us.
We did the night in a mountain refuge, enjoying a barbecue and good wines.

Here a few pictures of our journey and a short video.

View attachment 101349

View attachment 101340 View attachment 101341 View attachment 101342 View attachment 101343 View attachment 101344 View attachment 101345 View attachment 101346 View attachment 101347 View attachment 101348
Very cool trek! Can adventurous Yanks come along? This would be the most epic trip!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool trek! Can adventurous Yanks come along? This would be the most epic trip!!
Everyone is welcome, here we have many levels of trails from scenic to very technical . If someday you travel to the south, be in touch we can prepare a short trip.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Was wondering when you were going to come out of Winter Hibernation and ride. Glad to see that you survived the winter and was out riding the Grizz. Another great ride and Vid, thanks Julio I enjoy your video's. Glad to hear that your partner wasn't hurt, just beat up some. Looked like a nasty place to do a get-off.
So from the video, and the first picture looking down the valley, the first thing I noticed was the lack of tree's. I know your above Timberline but the valley didn't have any tree's either. Reckon the whole area is what we call "High Desert". The oximeter is a good thing to have for flatlanders when you ride high altitude. I carry one along with my O2 machine for my health problems. Thanks for sharing and good to see you on the trails again. Looking forward to more of your adventures, Good luck and enjoy your coming summer. We are fixing to get into winter and Hibernation, lol.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was wondering when you were going to come out of Winter Hibernation and ride. Glad to see that you survived the winter and was out riding the Grizz. Another great ride and Vid, thanks Julio I enjoy your video's. Glad to hear that your partner wasn't hurt, just beat up some. Looked like a nasty place to do a get-off.
So from the video, and the first picture looking down the valley, the first thing I noticed was the lack of tree's. I know your above Timberline but the valley didn't have any tree's either. Reckon the whole area is what we call "High Desert". The oximeter is a good thing to have for flatlanders when you ride high altitude. I carry one along with my O2 machine for my health problems. Thanks for sharing and good to see you on the trails again. Looking forward to more of your adventures, Good luck and enjoy your coming summer. We are fixing to get into winter and Hibernation, lol.
Thank you Sir, you are welcome. Distance and language sometimes are a barrier, but I never forget my friends here. Also our machines are so reliable that I didn't a excuse to visit the forums to request help.

You are right this area are very dry like a High Desert , I rode in the green place , but you can see all the area from Argentina, Chile and Bolivia to be a big high desert. Also the most dry desert in the world is in Chile in Atacama at north of this image.

World Natural environment Atmospheric phenomenon Biome Astronomical object

·
Premium Member
8,877 Posts
In fact the climb is over 46miles, 90 miles is for the all day.

The funny fact was, one of the buddy is a doctor, and he was suffering altitude sickness , he felt very sick, so we went quickly as possible to the cabin around the 5900 ft, and there was prepraing a barbacue local people , and they applied him a native cure, and him started to feel better.
High altitude really only bothers me while sleeping. Wake up short of breath have to sit up for 15-20 minutes then I'm okay.
I tried the local cure while in Cusco. Couldn't tell if it helped.
Nice, do you have pictures of your truck ? When we go over the 14700ft, we carried a oxigen bottle.
When traveling and camping at high altitudes I have been carrying small portable oxygen bottle since Cusco.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts