Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bought a 2008 Grizzly 700 with a display issue. The display works fine but the plastic cover on the display is clouded from sun exposure and quite scratched. Any recommendations on how to remove the clouding and scratches? Photo attached.
Shoe Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
After sanding, a coat of " clear " over it will do wonders.
Actually, long term, clear is one of the worst things you can do. The chemicals in it degrades the plastic over time. Better off to use a good uv inhibitor polish or wax. I've made the clear coat mistake too many times over the years on headlights.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
How about cutting a screen protector like they use for iPads, etc. I've got one on mine with no scratches or fading after 11 years.
That's actually what I did on my Kodiak. I bought a roll of 3M protective film 6 in wide and like 25 ft long lol. It's supposed to be for the hood of a vehicle but I just cut a piece out and put across my display. Don't want to have to go through the same thing I did with my old Honda Foreman. I cut the whole display and replaced the plastic

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's actually what I did on my Kodiak. I bought a roll of 3M protective film 6 in wide and like 25 ft long lol. It's supposed to be for the hood of a vehicle but I just cut a piece out and put across my display. Don't want to have to go through the same thing I did with my old Honda Foreman. I cut the whole display and replaced the plastic
I'm guessing this is like the " magnetic " type film that will adhere really tight.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
The screen on my 19 is hazed real bad. Going after it shortly. If I can polish it out I will add the 3m film. All winter I have been thinking of hot knifing out the plastic and replacing it with Gorilla or tempered glass.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
The screen on my 19 is hazed real bad. Going after it shortly. If I can polish it out I will add the 3m film. All winter I have been thinking of hot knifing out the plastic and replacing it with Gorilla or tempered glass.
The 3M film is great, I like the fact that when it's muddy or dusty, you can wipe it off, and it doesn't scratch like the plastic screen does. I'm pretty confident that since I put that film on just a couple weeks after getting the bike, my screen is gonna look like new for years.
It's sit out exposed to direct rain, sun, snow and ice, and it's still just like the day I put it on there.
So if you get your screen cleaned up, put lots of care and effort in applying the film, it should be a long time before it needs to be replaced.

They should come with protection on the screen from factory.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
My old 13 and the 2016 has the old style glass. Those look like new. The plastic crap that is in the new style pods is junk. Another thing I hate about the new pods is the size and style of the fonts. The speed is way to large could be half the size. That would make more room for the important stuff. The odometer, the clock, the temperature and voltage are much more important. I can feel the speed.
Actually the pod is the only disappointing thing on my machine.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Maybe build one of these into the new lenses.Magnifier

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Not a great pic as it's raining out right now and I was just on my way out to the truck to go to work, but if you zoom in you can see the edge of the 3m film.

And yes the birds have used my bike as target practice since I parked right under the tree by my front door.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gorilla glass. I worked at Corning when they started using gorilla glass. The gorilla glass was invented possibly way back in the 50's. There wasn't much use for it so it just sat there for decades, then along came the cell phone...

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Not a great pic as it's raining out right now and I was just on my way out to the truck to go to work, but if you zoom in you can see the edge of the 3m film.
My 19 has a different screen material than the our 16's and and my 13. It seems to be softer like used with a touch screen.
I saw a post where a guy use orange "Goop" hand cleaner. I tried it with a sponge but only for 10 minutes or so. It looks like it will work. Just take a little more time.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
Gorilla glass. I worked at Corning when they started using gorilla glass. The gorilla glass was invented possibly way back in the 50's. There wasn't much use for it so it just sat there for decades, then along came the cell phone...
See you are in Michigan. I grew up in Toledo. I had a boss that bought an old Corning mansion in the Old West end. Tore it down. He use lots of wood, doors and windows in his house he built in Temperance MI.

·
Registered
260 Posts
See you are in Michigan. I grew up in Toledo. I had a boss that bought an old Corning mansion in the Old West end. Tore it down. He use lots of wood, doors and windows in his house he built in Temperance MI.
Yes in Michigan. That's pretty nice he could re-use all those materials, it will give his house some interesting conversation. There is an old dilapidated jail house from the late 1800's a half mile from me, I may pull the old bars from the windows, make something out of them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts