Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

cluster pops on and off at random

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GrizzlyTwins 
#1 ·
Both of my 660 grizzly's clusters do this same thing, so I'm having a hard time thinking it's something within the cluster itself

Sometimes, when I flip the keys, the clusters will power on, other times they stay completely off. If you leave the bikes running for any length of time, or hop on and ride off, they'll pop on, and display everything as expected: speed, 4wd, etc. both fuel gauges are blinking low, but I'm fairly certain that's just the sending units themselves being toast.

Gear indicators always work all the time, it's just the main cluster display itself, very intermittent.

Is there a common ground or connector or known issue I can zero in on?

#2 ·
Generally, a low voltage problem is first detected by the dash not lighting up (coming on).
Weak battery connections are the first place to check.

Reactions: GrizzlyTwins
#3 ·
Fuse # 4 is called the "backup" fuse. It is not listed to be active on any electrical schematic. It does appears to be the power source of the display. It also seems to be involved in display blinking or dead issues. Check the fuse with a meter, clean the fuse holder, trace and check the red/green wire for issues.
Check out the red/white wire leading from the ignition fuse to the display.
Also check the black wire coming from the display to ground.

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

• Helpful
Reactions: GrizzlyTwins
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.