Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found myself wanting more power from low/mid range. I got a 2017 grizzly 700 eps. I do a lot of trail riding, mud/ woods riding/ sand ect. I also use the wheeler for hunting, snow plowing, pulling a small trailer. What would be the best way to go.... shim mod with a new spring? what color spring? How much shim? Should I just get a clutch kit? Am I going to loose top end? HELP!!!! New to this 4 wheeler stuff... always had (and still do) dirt bikes. I don't know a lot about the cvt. I am thinking about getting 27" or 28" tires also. Thanks!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
There's probably thousands of threads here on clutch mods. The short answer is that you don't need clutch mods with stock tires. When you put larger tires on, you'll probably find yourself wanting to recover some low end. So, up to 1.7mm shim with no cage mods and probably a purple spring as long as your aren't mud bogging. Yes, you'll lose a little too end. 5-7ish MPH. If that's an issue, look into a machined sheave by Coop45, a forum member. Then you'll get the best of both worlds. Stay away from kits. We can get you where you want to be cheaper and with no extra unnessary and potentially harmful parts sitting on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
X-2 on what he said.
We raise the pulley ratio, so start with determining your stock ratio as a guide to future mods.
The shim mod is linear across the sheave faces, but COOP's machine changes the angle to prevent top speed loss due to the belt not reaching the outer edge of the primary sheaves.
You can run machining and shim in combination then cut the cam plate to compensate for the shim. The mods I run are in my signature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts