Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Grizzly with 28" zillas on factory rims and need some advice as to what clutch mods would get me the best bang for the buck. I was thinking shim, secondary spring and primary weights. Just don't know what setup to run. I ride mud and trails. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I run the stock weights with 1.5mm if shim and a Dalton Metallic Red (Same as EPI purple) secondary spring.
I have 26" Bighorn OGs that measure 26.5" tall and are likely heavier than 28" Zillas.
You'd be impressed with what a shim would do for you. I did loose some tip end speed. I hit the rev limiter at 60mph now.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered shims and Epi purple spring. What about those anti friction washers on the top and bottom of the spring? Is anybody using them and if so where do you get them?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I ordered shims and Epi purple spring. What about those anti friction washers on the top and bottom of the spring? Is anybody using them and if so where do you get them?
The washers are considered a gimmick by many. I haven't added any anti-friction washers to mine. My Griz didn't come with any from the factory. I say they are just something for somebody to say you need and make a buck off you.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Premium Member
10,689 Posts
The spring and shim is a good start in the right direction, let us know if you want more and what you are trying to accomplish.
Mud riders don't need high speed, and trail riders don't need maximum torque magnification, so many compromise in the middle.
If you want to do a lot of work, high torque and high speed can both be had through several individual modifications, each added one at a time for proper understanding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanting to install the shims and spring tonight what size sockets do I need to get the primary and secondary clutches off? Thanks for all the advice. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wanting to install the shims and spring tonight what size sockets do I need to get the primary and secondary clutches off? Thanks for all the advice. This is a great forum.

It should be a 22mm for the sheave nuts, and 45mm for the spring locknut. If it's anything like my 450. If you plan on doing your own work, I recommend getting a service guide for sure! I saved myself a ton of money, and learned quite a bit for having my first ever fourwheeler.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Be certain you properly torque those nuts with you reassemble.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Be certain you properly torque those nuts with you reassemble.
X2 on that. I got about a $500 Bill from a not tight enough primary nut.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
X2 on that. I got about a $500 Bill from a not tight enough primary nut.
Yea... the old "saying 'click' when you think it's tight enough" is not the way to go on this application. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1.5mm Shims and spring installed everything torqued down all good. While I was wrenching I also ported my stock header pipe and installed a custom exhaust tip on my factory exhaust.(pics below). Test rode did some tuning with the fuel optimizer last night. Want to do some more today but I'm real close. Thanks again for all the help and advice this is an awesome group on this forum.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts