Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and found some very enlightening threads, have a lot of bookmarks to read through now. Bought an old 450 about a year ago and we ride around fish camp, seen quite a few hours until one day it finally stopped working and kids had to walk back. Runs fine but no-go. I don't know squat about these things but figured had to be clutch related so I popped the side plate off to check the belt and found that the nut that holds the CVT clutch/sheave or whatever that is was just laying in the pan I pulled off. No big deal right? Popped the washer back on and torqued the nut down as hard as I could, test ran it and she ran great. Kids jump back on and 10 minutes later same thing. So, obviously I've either got a more serious issue or I simply did something wrong putting it back together. I learned from my search that I should have removed the belt prior to torquing the nut back down. This 4 wheeler is 200 miles away and on an island, so forgive me I'm going by memory and unfortunately didn't take pics at the time. Obviously I've not given you a whole lot of info to go on, hoping this is a common enough problem though. What all do I need to bring down there in terms of parts? I want to be sure it's ready to roll on my next trip. I'll be watching YouTube videos all night so I have the procedure down.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would be suprised if the splines on the cam plate did not get stripped off the first time it happened. I had this happen to me once. You should open up the secondary enough for the belt to drop in a ways. This will give you enough room to properly tighten down the primary clutch with out the belt being stuck between the two sheaves. Maybe apply some loctite to the shaft and nut?

Reactions: screamingpotato

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Check out this video " How to install a belt and shim" video. It will show you the parts you need to inspect and the associated steps.

Like swampdonkeyvt mention, you may have damage splines on your wet clutch / primary sheave shaft.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would be suprised if the splines on the cam plate did not get stripped off the first time it happened. I had this happen to me once. You should open up the secondary enough for the belt to drop in a ways. This will give you enough room to properly tighten down the primary clutch with out the belt being stuck between the two sheaves. Maybe apply some loctite to the shaft and nut?
x2 I use Blue for "hand tools"

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I believe the primary nut needs 100 ft lbs of torque. I use a little blue locktite as I have had issues with that damn nut also, and just because it makes me feel better. I don't recommend using a ratchet strap like cubbee did in the video above (if I remember right). Build a wood vise to hold the primary while you torque the nut. I also agree to check the cam plate and shaft carefully. You may have done some damage.

·
Premium Member
10,695 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
There could be damage to the fixed sheave also.
I suggest you inspect all parts to the primary pulley.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I just ordered some blue loctite. Hopefully nothing's damaged but I'll try to get a list of stuff to inspect, might try to find some of the parts locally so I'll have them on hand when I get down there as it'll be a month or so til I can get down there again and I hate leaving it in a non-working state.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Thanks everyone. I just ordered some blue loctite. Hopefully nothing's damaged but I'll try to get a list of stuff to inspect, might try to find some of the parts locally so I'll have them on hand when I get down there as it'll be a month or so til I can get down there again and I hate leaving it in a non-working state.
Locktite is not "needed". It's way more important to properly torque that primary nut. So put a decent torque wrench on the list of items to bring with you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Locktite is not "needed". It's way more important to properly torque that primary nut. So put a decent torque wrench on the list of items to bring with you.
Roger that, and I'm glad you reminded me I've got my fish camp packing list updated and had NOT put the torque wrench on it! I'll fix that right now. Thinking about maybe ordering that camp plate too as memory is making me think the teeth where the shaft goes through were not proper, not sure it'll be here in time for the trip though. This was all 2-3 weeks ago so memory is faded, dunno if I want to spend the $40 "just in case" and find out it's fine and I just need to torque the nut.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Roger that, and I'm glad you reminded me I've got my fish camp packing list updated and had NOT put the torque wrench on it! I'll fix that right now. Thinking about maybe ordering that camp plate too as memory is making me think the teeth where the shaft goes through were not proper, not sure it'll be here in time for the trip though. This was all 2-3 weeks ago so memory is faded, dunno if I want to spend the $40 "just in case" and find out it's fine and I just need to torque the nut.
In my opinion, replace the cam plate. Since the nut has come off twice now, it almost most definitely has wear or damage on the splines. $40 is cheap insurance to know those splines will be fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yea this coming off twice also makes me wonder if the splines are somehow slipping/spinning at times and backing the nut off.

I've had my belt and clutch on my 660 apart many many times and never had a issue re-torquing it and having it stay.

Loctite is a good insurance if your worried, but I've never had to use it.

Did someone put shimms on this bike?

If you watch that video that's how the splines and the basket are supposed to line up if the teeth aren't there its going to spin loose.

PS also : If i remember right at-least my 660 come peened from factory you may want to try that if everything appears correct.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Yea this coming off twice also makes me wonder if the splines are somehow slipping/spinning at times and backing the nut off.

I've had my belt and clutch on my 660 apart many many times and never had a issue re-torquing it and having it stay.

Loctite is a good insurance if your worried, but I've never had to use it.

Did someone put shimms on this bike?

If you watch that video that's how the splines and the basket are supposed to line up if the teeth aren't there its going to spin loose.

PS also : If i remember right at-least my 660 come peened from factory you may want to try that if everything appears correct.
Completely agree with this.
A properly installed and torqued cam plate nut does not need loctite. It will not come off.

The only time I have ever seen this nut come off is from incorrect installation procedures.

·
Registered
201 Posts
right but if everything on his end seems 100% he may want to peen the nut and see if it stops backing off im very sure my original 660 nut was peened

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my opinion, replace the cam plate. Since the nut has come off twice now, it almost most definitely has wear or damage on the splines. $40 is cheap insurance to know those splines will be fine.
Hey thanks everyone for the help on this. I wanted to post an update and report back a successful test. We made it down to fish camp with new cam plate and loc-tight in-hand. I completely forgot to apply the loc-tite. But going through the correct installation procedure and new cam plate and torque'd we rode that thing all over the place for several days and had a blast, no more issues.

Thought I'd share a pic of my fleet over in fish camp. That Kodiak there has 15k miles on it and I'm working on getting the same from the Grizzly.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Thank for reporting back! Great pic!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts