Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2014 grizzly 700 do I need to shim clutch to put on 26" tires I don't do any mudding or anything radicle i'm to old just want it to look better

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
It is not necessary to add shim when you are changing to a heavier and larger tire on the Grizzly 700. Some feel adding heavier and larger tires do impact the low end performance some so they choose to make changes there by one of the following or a combination of shims, machined primary sheave and new secondary spring. It does make a difference but I wouldn't say it is a night and day difference.

If you are happy with the current performance and would be OK with a very slight low end performance hit, by all means go with 26" tires. As Jim always points out, not all 26" tires are created equal. Some are taller or heavier than others which will have a different impact from another tire set.

Point is, get your tires and then make a decision if you want shims. The increase in grip from the new tires will be so nice, I doubt you will even notice much in the way of a performance loss.

Reactions: derwood

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
X2 on everything RR said and remember a side benefit is added ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Adding shim raises the pulley ratio which helps with the strain on the wet clutch for low end pull.
If you don't like the top end speed reducing, cut the cam plate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What's top speed of stock 2017 grizzly on stock 26 inch tires.and what's top speed with 27 inch tires with 1.5 shim mod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's top speed of stock 2017 grizzly on stock 26 inch tires.and what's top speed with 27 inch tires with 1.5 shim mod.
I just got 67 out of 2017 700 yesterday. It is stock. Im in the procress of doing 28in tires with spring and shim mod

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
With 26 bighorns that measure 26.5" tall and my 1.5mm shim I hit the rev limiter quite easily at 96 km/h or 60 mph.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would think if you put bigger tires on and do not do shim mod you should go faster on top end? With less low end torque.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thing is your speedo is probably not reading correctly with bigger tires lts going faster then speedo is showing.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Thing is your speedo is probably not reading correctly with bigger tires lts going faster then speedo is showing.
My 660 with stock tires indicated faster speed than actually traveling. Then with taller tires the speed traveled was indicated on the speedo.
Use a G.P.S. to know for sure on the '17'.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My 2016 reads the same as my GPS when I have the 26" bighorns on it .
I even checked the odometer on a long ride and it will be within 1/4 mile of the trip meter on the gps for a 50-60 mile ride.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts