Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so my 660 was hitting rev limiter at 45mph, and the CVT seemed rather loud. I thought it was weird I hit rev limiter going 45mph. I have 2mm shim but that was supposed to drop top speed to mid 50's. So I thought, I need to know what my stock ratio is anyway, I am going to crack open the CVT this weekend and see if there is anything wrong. So I had just found out that I need to hold the cam plate when removing it. I had never done this in my 4-5 times taking it apart and putting it back together. Well, I learned my lesson. Lift the cam plate out and three weights have been out of their channels and are completely wrecked. I almost cried. ALMOST, not quite, but ALMOST. I had no idea if I had hurt the sheave or anything. I looked around and the sheave looks ok but the weights are mangled. So I have a question, are the metal weights suppose to freely come in and out of the plastic sleeve? This chooses how many weights I need to replace. I also see weights (slick weights) I stumbled upon from Dr pulley. I have heard good and bad about Dr pulley. Anyways, should I replace the bad ones or get a new set? Would you recommend heavier weights? Should I get slick weights? Do they even work without machining? I need to get these ordered asap so I need some help. I am hoping someone else has had this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have no experience with any of those fancy style weights, and like you I've read good and bad. So I would suggest to stay with a new set (so eight) of stock 660 weights with some fresh grease, and ride on.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
X2 on what @Vincent said. That machine has served you well in stock form fir 16 years. I have zero experience with this, but if you just want to ride and enjoy the Grizz, new complete set of stock weights, put it back together as factory, off you go!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
X2 on what @Vincent said. That machine has served you well in stock form fir 16 years. I have zero experience with this, but if you just want to ride and enjoy the Grizz, new complete set of stock weights, put it back together as factory, off you go!
Thanks guys. Seems after a little more reading this is a general consensus. Thank you for the help!

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to close the thread. I ordered a set of weights, they will ship today from Yamaha to the part shark and they will be here next week. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: mainehunter
1 - 5 of 5 Posts