Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 18gram weights in my grizzly. I was wondering if anyone is using heavier weights, 20 24, etc. and how well they did. I'm thinking about going heavier but I wanted to see what other people thought first.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
lighter weights= slower the up-shift. Depends what else you have done to your machine as well as what type of riding you do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Total I have a wesco 11.1 piston, mudbuster stage 1, powercommander 5, 8 18 gram weights with 1 shim, with penland pro exhaust. I mostly mud ride so I'm looking for that instant punch. I already have a lot but im looking to add more. My white secondary spring should be here next week along with another 1mm shim. I am just wondering on the weight change and which direction to go. Oh I'm running 29.5/12 laws.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Not sure that going to heavier weights will give you that instant punch you are looking for. The white spring should have the same effect as lighter weights. Try it out with your upcoming mods and see if that makes a difference. You can PM Madmike and look into getting your primary machined as well as having the shims in there. Next step may be a big bore kit if you are still looking for more. Have you considered stall springs?

·
DJ
5,636 Posts
I have 18gram weights in my grizzly. I was wondering if anyone is using heavier weights, 20 24, etc. and how well they did. I'm thinking about going heavier but I wanted to see what other people thought first.
The up/down shift characteristics of the CVT is a balancing act between the roller wts and the secondary spring. They counteract each other. How each bike responds to changes is dependent on tire size/weight and available engine power along with total weight carried on the machine. The only way to find out what you like is to try different springs and wts in a systematic way.

Generally speaking heavier wts will make the CVT upshift sooner and delay the backshift. A stronger secondary spring will delay the upshift and the back shift will occur sooner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have thought about the stall springs but don't know much about them. All I know is the are 42lbs and 54lbs. Not sure how they work though.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
You'll rip your head off if they have 2300rpm wet clutch springs

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
No it won't, those are the 500 and 1000 rpm springs. The engine is idleing at so many rpms right. That's just the rpm number the wetclutch engages at. Hey rebelfrog where did you find those numbers at?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Yea I was talking about the rpm engagement numbers

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wet springs adjust the RPM that the wet clutch engages and causes the bike to start moving from a stand still. The higher the RPM the more power the engine is making when the clutch starts to engage and makes the bike "feel" snappier.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
PM Madmike on this forum. He is the only guy I ever saw post up that he tried heavier weights than the stock 20s. He said they pretty much sucked and he took them out.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I just ordered 1000rpm springs today just to see want it's like since nobody on here has really tried them. I race some but when I'm finished we leave strait from there and go riding mud and trails. I'll let you guys know how much snappier it is and see if it's worth doing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK Ive been wanting to try the 54 lbs ones but wasnt sure. Let me know how it turns out I may go that route too.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I just ordered 1000rpm springs today just to see want it's like since nobody on here has really tried them. I race some but when I'm finished we leave strait from there and go riding mud and trails. I'll let you guys know how much snappier it is and see if it's worth doing.

Rode with a guy on a Can am that had the 1000 stall, once he got stuck he would smoke his belt trying to get his machine to hook up, had to be pulled out like a log, with no power, let us know if team Yamaha does any better. It was some nasty peanut butter mud, took a winch two wheelers and a side by side to get him out. (all pulling at the same time)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts