Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang - New '16 Grizz 700 owner here. Luv the ride, handling, power. Great machine. But what's with the 'collection trays' under the outside CV boots at the rear wheels? After a short ride y'day through dense bush and bit of mud these things were absolutely caked with mud, dirt, branches, leaves, ... hell I think I found remnants of a squirrel in all the crap!

I get it that these plastic parts are to protect the hub, CVs, boots, brake lines, etc but being relatively open on the front, closed at the back and sitting level means crap can easily enter, not easily exit and so just gathers and builds which ain't good for any of those vital parts that they're supposed to protect. Would be interested in other's experience. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
Mine is an older grizz but the same thing happened. I took the guards off thinking I could put them back if needed. They haven't been off the shelf in a few years.
I haven't had problems without them but around here there isn't much new trail making either.
Mud and ice can still build up but it doesn't dry and stay there in a wad.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used ricochet a arm skids on my past machine. Hardly any crap would collect.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Yup, mine came off for snow and ice one winter and never went back on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic of them on my machine. You can see how they're closed at the back so crap can't exit. They look ez to remove so I'll likely just take them off after every ride to clean that area out
. Gotta think they'll also catch a whack of snow and just make it ez'ier to big down in the snow so I may just remove them entirely for winter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have done what you just said, so after muddy/brushy rides I take them off and clean that area. Yes, it's a little more work, but it is a good time to check over everything while you're down there.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'd cut some holes with a ~1" hole saw, at least it would help with washing. I wouldn't run without them but I ride a lot of woods

·
Registered
419 Posts
I took mine off one day to clean and never bothered to put them back on..never had any problems with torn boots or broken axles..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd cut some holes with a ~1" hole saw, at least it would help with washing. I wouldn't run without them but I ride a lot of woods

Not a bad idea! They definitely offer protection where you want it. Just need a way to let the built up crap escape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts