Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have learned a ton just reading posts. Thanks for all of the useful info, I actually bought my first Grizzly because of what I've read on this site.
A few weeks ago my 2014 550 EPS wouldn't start and I had to get towed out by a friend. Code 12 popped up. I found the posts here which led me to the youtube video about the starter relay which I've since changed. I am still getting code 12 and no starting. I'm not very knowledgeable on mechanics but I can follow instruction. I ordered a service manual but won't get it for a few days at least. I can't even get it to the Yamaha shop because their hours conflict with my work hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 3 day weekend next week and I've only put 40 miles on this thing since I bought it on Memorial Day. Thanks in advance and also, I apologize if this is not in the correct forum. I'm kind of new to this

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Which discussion area is not important, did you tighten the battery cables or have the battery load tested?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brand new battery, I tested it. 12.6
Cables are tight, tried to jump the starter relay with pliers across the terminals but nothing. I watched another video suggesting that I test the starter but it started thunder storming here and I have nowhere to work on it for the night so hopefully I can check it tomorrow if I'm not working too late. Also, thanks for the welcome :) I'm in upstate NY. Middletown

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Did you use o.e.m., or cheaper flea bay part?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The quad only has 100 miles on it, 40 by me. Unless the guy switched out the odometer but it's very clean, the underside shines so I doubt it. When I bought it I did have to replace the battery because it was "dead from sitting".

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also read that code 12 is for the crankshaft positioning sensor. I'm hoping my service manual gets here soon so I can tinker and maybe learn something and that I can get parts locally because I've got a 3 day weekend coming up and was planning on spending them in the woods😁

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Just asking...you're a long way away and through a computer screen this tough :)
if the pliers thing didn't work, check for voltage, not just at the battery but at the other end of the wire to the starter.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
I have also read that code 12 is for the crankshaft positioning sensor. I'm hoping my service manual gets here soon so I can tinker and maybe learn something and that I can get parts locally because I've got a 3 day weekend coming up and was planning on spending them in the woods😁
It should turn over, just not start if its the sensor.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check the starter tomorrow or tonight if this storm passes, I did have juice at the starter relay,it would just click though, few small sparks when I tried the pliers. Thanks a lot for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Also corrosion at the grounding bolt to the frame can cause low voltage.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I'll look for that, I'm assuming that would be a wire coming off the battery but I'll google it (it's probably really simple but I haven't worked on much so I don't know for sure....yet. 😁

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Yes, the engine is in rubber and metal motor mounts and needs the frame and engine grounded well. follow the wire from the battery.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again, pulling side panel now to test starter and will follow the ground wire. I appreciate all your help 🍻

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I tested this "four conductor coming off the hear selector switch" as I followed instruction from a youtube video and park, high and low checked but neutral did not.
I then tested power to the starter while trying to start and I got nothing. The video said if I had power it would mean a bad starter but I've got none so I don't know what that means. Bad wires I guess. I haven't found the ground wire yet, I followed wires to the starter and one seems to be a ground to one of the starter bolts but I havent found any ground going to the frame yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Try pulling the rear brake lever when you hit the start button.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had my foot on the rear brake while starting but will try the lever.
No luck, still getting nothing at the starter while trying to start and holding the rear brake lever.
I tested my battery again and only had 11.7 this time. I don't know how good or bad that it but I had 12.6 earlier.
Thanks again for all your help. I feel more knowledgeable just having poked around the little that I have.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
there is a switch so when the bike is in gear you can start it by applying the rear brake. I thought if it is not recognizing neutral maybe it would start pulling the lever.
11.7 should turn it over, so its looking like no power to the start or an open circuit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts